How many clients can access to my site in one time?

by Uugankhuu Baasanjav -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

We have an installation of Moodle 2.6 on a VPS with 1 core, 1Gb RAM, bandwith unlimited. Location is in Mongolia, clients from Mongolia, too.

Thank you,

Uugankhuu

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Uugankhuu Baasanjav

Re: How many clients can access to my site in one time?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello Uugankhuu

You could have started from a shared host perfectly then upgrade as required, depending on what is your content, 100 users will be easy handled on this configuration.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Uugankhuu Baasanjav -

Thanks for your response!

It's ok when connected 2000 users on my site? What configuration required for about 2000 users?

My content is just docx, xlsx, flash presentations and that's it.

Sorry for my bad english.

Uugankhuu

by Usman Asar -
Uugankhuu, your English is perfectly fine as I can understand it very well.

You can get 2000 users registered, may be yes, but those 2000 users wont be able to use the site at one time, for that you have to have something stronger.

But Still I will mention the requirements for 2000 users at a time, a high power VPS or entry level Dedicated server will do.

If you want to start on your own, you can always start with This hosting HOSTWINDS, (Click HERE to see their packages) good thing about them is, they have packages from basic to all the way up to Dedicated, so you dont have to worry about changing hosts as your site grow as they will do the shifting for you easy to higher specifications server as when required.

If you want to test them, use coupon "ITLIVE99OFF" without quotes, to get 99% off from first month, you can test the site meanwhile if it fits your needs, you can always go with it, else cancel Plan.

Else if  you want to go straight to VPS, then use coupon code "MOODLEVPS-25OFF" to get 25% off from the price of VPS.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Uugankhuu Baasanjav -

Thank you again for your response and proposal. 

I just need know what configuration required for 2000 users in one time, but i understood that this is impossible.

Then it is possible to 500 users access to my site in one time? I'm sorry for that fool questions. It is very important for me. 

Finally, here is live URL.

Uugankhuu

by Usman Asar -

Uugankhuu, No question is a fool question, don't hesitate to ask.

I've seen your site, its very good, unfortunately its very slow too, ideally you would have got server from US, and not local, GNet (Mongolia) may have US based servers, but seeing load time of your site, I am honestly not impressed. 

I'll be as near to be specific for your requirements, for 2000 users to be online at one time, there could be 2 possibilities

Possibility 1: One Powerful server hosting  both database and web/application server, so you are looking at a Hexa/Octa Core XEON E5/E7 series, 64GB RAM and either get 2 x 1000GB Drives in RAID-1 for Operating System & Web Server + 2 x 120GB SSD Drives in RAID-1 for Database, and RAID configured on Hardware RAID card (not software).

or

Same CPU + RAM with 4 X SAS Drives in RAID-10 Configuration (again with Hardware RAID card, and not software)

Possibility 2: You'll be getting 2 servers, one for Moodle, O/S and WebServer, and other  for Dabatase only, for that you can get a XEON E3 series on Quad Core, 32GB RAM, and RAID-1 configuration of 2 x 1000GB Drives (can be software RAID) and 2nd server on XEON E3, 16GB RAM, and RAID-1 on SSD Drives, can be on software, but Hardware RAID with Cache is always better, as in Moodle, Database throughput is HIGH.

Either one of the configurations, combined with 1GBps Network card and minimum of 5TB of Monthly bandwidth.

Will be Best, if you can get server based on LiteSpeed web server, as it will make your site fast even on lower hardware.

all in all, these are just predictions, you can always go with Hybrid Solution, and  level up as your demand increases.

If you have plans to think of decent host, let me know, I'll figure out few US based hosting companies that i'll recommend for your 2000+ users.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Andrew Normore -

use www.LoadImpact.com to test your site and get a good idea of your existing server

In reply to Andrew Normore

by Uugankhuu Baasanjav -

Thank you guys, thank you. I'll use both your recommendation smile