Duplicate a TaskChain?

Duplicate a TaskChain?

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 8

Hi Gordon,

Is it possible to duplicate a TaskChain? The reason I ask is that I often set up a TaskChain for points that closes at a specific time. Then just before an exam, I re-create the TC for no points and free access. I do not like to re-open the original TC and run into grade problems/arguments down the road. The duplicate button is offered as an option for a TC but it does not work. An error is received. TaskChain pageid not recognized: course-rest.

Maybe with the way a TC works duplication is not possible or overly complicated. However, I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks,

Jeff

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: Duplicate a TaskChain?

by Melvin Shantz -

Possible related question and solution here.

I used Sharing Cart at one point in 1.9 and it was totally useful. You create a lesson in one course and then add it to your sharing cart. It can then be recreated in other courses or even recreated in the course you are in if I remember correctly. 

So I am curious if anyone has used Sharing Cart successfully recreating and thereby sharing TaskChain lessons, quizzes and more.

Tx,

Mel

In reply to Melvin Shantz

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

HI Mel,
thanks as always for sharing your experiences with TaskChain.

You mentioned the following:
> b. I also don't change files for ones with new names etc.

This maybe the cause of TaskChain not recognizing that files in a "File system" repository have been updated. Perhaps if you ensure that all your files names have NO SPACES in them, and furthermore you NO CHANGE THE FILENAME when adding the files as an alias in the file picker, that wil help TaskChain locate the original file and check the date it was last updated.

As far as I remember the Sharing Cart plugin needs to be told which types of activity it can duplicate, so we may need to adda little extra code somewhere to tell it how to duplicate a TaskChain activity.

Basically, I understood that the Sharing Cart is doing a backup and restore of a single activity, and that would be my first suggestion on how to duplicate a TaskChain, although maybe Moodle 2.x has this built in somewhere, somehow. I wish I had a little more time to investigate right now, but this will have to wait a little longer as am way behind with a lot of other stuff.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Melvin Shantz -

Gordon,

Thanks for your observations as usual. I don't think I have spaces in my file names but will pay attention to that. Will work some more with these tips in mind and see where things go.

Sharing Cart as it was anyways is a single activity backup and restore whether it be in the same course or a different one.

I had thought of doing a course backup and then restoring just the activities I wished to add to merging them into a different course. It might be a good idea but one so fraught with risk that I have't done any experimentation.

I don't know if there is anyone out there working either with Sharing Cart to copy and restore TaskChain activities either from one course to another or within a course or the second idea here as a way to transfer activities from one course to another. If so, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for all your hard work here Gordon. There is a lot of stuff in TaskChain. Still getting my mind around all the options.

Mel

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Duplicate TaskChain is working kind of, sort of.

I tried Duplicate again. I still get the pageid error and the section/topic that the TaskChain resides in stays grey out as the activity bar swirls. This continues until I refresh the page. After refreshing, the section/topic is normal and the duplicated TaskChain is there. I have gone in and edited it to change conditions. It seems fine.

Later,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Jeff,

I have investigated this issue and removed the error about "unknown pageid". Please update your TaskChain when you next have a chance and confirm that yoyu can now duplicate TaskChains without error, and without the page getting stuck swirling its little "I'm busy" icon.

best regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

This is most excellent. My students had to complete two TaskChains that closed last night for a Test on Tuesday. After a few clicks, I just made duplicates that were no points and free access. 

Thanks,

Jeff

by Melvin Shantz -

Sorry guys, but I don't know where "duplicate a TaskChain is"?

Mel

In reply to Melvin Shantz

by Gordon Bateson -

Mel, switch on "Edit mode" on your course page, then expand the "Edit" menu for your TaskChain, and you will see the "Duplicate" there, as in the attached screenshot. regards, Gordon

Attachment TaskChain.duplicate.png