Future major features

Grader Report UI Updates

This discussion has been locked because a year has elapsed since the last post. Please start a new discussion topic.
Picture of Andrew Nicols
Grader Report UI Updates
Group Core developersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

One of the projects we've been working on recently at Moodle HQ is an improvement to the Grader Report.

The Grader report is a potentially large interface which has been a bone of contention for usability over the years. Some experimental options have been added to it to try and improve the usability, but these have generally been buggy or unreliable.

Thanks to some work from Rex Lorenzo and Alfonso Roman of UCLA, we have worked to replace the previous 'fixed' header experimental setting with a JavaScript floating headers system which is cross-browser compatible, and much less likely to break.

This new system creates a copy of the headers and footers and makes them float at the top, left, or bottom of the page (as appropriate) so that they are always visible and that you can always determine where in the gradebook you are, which grade item you're viewing, and for which user.

As a result of these changes, we have also taken the opportunity to simplify the interface, removing:

• The floating tooltip - since this shows the same information visible on the page already, and it is now possible to clearly see where you are on the page, we felt that this was no longer necessary; and
  • The row and column highlighting - again, it is now much clearer on the screen which row, and which column you are currently viewing and we felt that this was no longer necessary.

A prototype of this UI update is now available on our prototype server. Login credentials to view the page are provided on the login page.

The issue containing these changes is MDL-46658 and we welcome feedback both on the issue, and within this discussion. The original design discussion from this change is also available in the developer documentation wiki.

Best wishes,

Andrew Nicols

Average of ratings: -
Wazza
Re: Grader Report UI Updates
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Can we also give feedback on this?

http://prototype.moodle.net/25544/grade/report/user/index.php?id=3

I would really, really like to have collapsible categories in the Moodle grade book.

I don't know if this is beyond the scope of feedback requested here?

MDL-43811

Picture of Sal Kaceli

As you all consider the redesign of the gradebook, it would be advantageous to have the assignment/activity titles be listed in a vertical way at a certain length e.g. 40-50 chars. 

Then the gradebook would be more compact. Right now if your assignment has a long name there is a lot of real estate lost and one has to scroll to the right.

Picture of AL Rachels
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

Hi Andrew,

I really like it. It will save me from having to fiddle around to keep track of which column I am trying to work with. It was a little disconcerting when I first tried the sideways scroll, but after playing with it for a while with things docked and undocked, I see the logic and think it will be a nice addition to the grader report.

Any idea as to when it will get into Moodle?

Elena
Group Testers

Hi Andrew,

The floating tool tip allows instructors to quickly see their written feedback comments on grades, so those who use it that way might miss the feature. 

I, personally, would not hide the User report icons once you scroll to the right. smile

Picture of Mike Grant

Hi Andrew,

This update seems a lot more usable, especially when dealing with larger cohorts. The nicest feature, is that this doesn't add to moodle's habit of building features that require lots of scrolling. Excited to see this in 2.8!

Well done!