Separate Capabilities/moodle/restore:restore course with "download course backup file" capability?

Separate Capabilities/moodle/restore:restore course with "download course backup file" capability?

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 1
Dear all, how are you doing?

I thought that I would bring this up for some discussion (hopefully it has not been discussed before)...

I noticed that for Moodle 2.4 (possibly 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7 too), the teacher role must have "Capabilities/moodle/restore:restore course" set to "Allow" in order to complete the backup process. This setting allows access to where the backups are store (the "restore page").

Because of this design, there is no way to allow teachers to download their course backups without giving them the capability to restore a course. However, there are some use cases that we might want to allow a teacher to be able to download their course backup files, but NOT allowing them to restore their courses on the production site. However, this doesn't seem to be possible for Moodle now. Do people feel this is a reasonable and common use case? Is there a work-around for this? Should I create a potential "feature" ticket on the moodle bug tracker? Thoughts or comments? Thanks!

Wen

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Separate Capabilities/moodle/restore:restore course with "download course backup file" capability?

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi, Wen.

I am experiencing the same issue.  I'd turned off restore for teachers because they were duplicating "bad" courses.  However, after doing that, I discovered this problem so set it back to Allow.  It would be great if these two things were separated.  There's a setting for downloadcourse, but it doesn't seem to matter if restorecourse is set to prevent.