How many like settings collapsed by default?

How many like settings collapsed by default?

by Douglas Broad -
Number of replies: 3

Just thought I'd find out other's opinions on the V2.5-2.7 collapsed settings on assignments for the later versions of moodle.

I find myself nearly always hitting "expand all".  The times that I don't, the assignment inevitably needs to be re-edited to change the setting I missed and the second time, I always "expand all".  I know the collapsed form was meant to save scrolling, but for me, it has meant an extra button push every time I edit or create an assignment.  Anyone else?  Anyone have a solution for user's like me who want everything always expanded?

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Douglas Broad

Re: How many like settings collapsed by default?

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Douglas,

I am also doing many "expand all", which becomes somewhat tedious smileI agree with you, being able to set the default Expand/Collapse mode would be convenient.

More, I would add a second "expand" level, one that would expand everything including all the "show more...". Hence, this would be a two-tiered expansion (the default mode of which could be set):

• Expand:  same as the current "Expand all"
  • Expand all:  expands everything including "show more..."

It could also be convenient to have Moodle record the expansion state of a page so that, when leaving the page and returning to it, Moodle would display the page in its last expansion state.

(I am using Moodle 2.6)

In reply to Dominique Bauer

Re: How many like settings collapsed by default?

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I agree--I'd like to set defaults for what is expanded by default. I would NOT want to have all options expanded by default though. That makes my page more cluttered. = }

As for the "show more" -- these are controlled by your site admin. What you site admin sets as "Advanced" will appear in the "show more" area. If you don't want any items hidden by the "show more" then uncheck all the Advanced boxes in your plug in settings.

ie. For quizzes, I want the time limit/time expires/submission grace period to be set to my specific default values, then I want them hidden by the "show more" so it's out of sight/out of mind of my teachers, they way, they can't easily change those settings and then complain when their quizzes are not working the way they wanted them to. I did this by checking "advanced" - see image below. I left the Attempts allowed and grading method out of the "show more" view so my teachers can change those settings easily.