Prevent Copy/Paste in quiz

Prevent Copy/Paste in quiz

by Sanaz Parsaei -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how can I disable the copy feature and possibly the Print Screen feature to restrict students from copying and spreading the questions.

I have set some restricting criteria such as:

• # of attempts to be 1
  • Providing no review
  • Timed the quiz

However, my client still wants to make sure students can not copy the text.

Please advise.

Thanks

sanaz

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sanaz Parsaei

Re: Prevent Copy/Paste in quiz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I really don't think you can prevent them from taking screenshots, but let's see what others say.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How are you going to stop them taking a photo of the screen with their mobile phone?

However, if you want to make it harder for your students, try a secure browser like http://www.safeexambrowser.org/

Of, if you want a hacky solution, look under 'Extra restrictions on attempts -> Show more' in the quiz settings.

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

I doubt you are going to beat the technology.  Smart phones take wonderful pictures of monitor screens...

One student takes pics of them all and markets the collection.  I think the only way to do this is to restrict Moodle to a given IP address, that being one of the class room.  However, most IT departments are not up to restricting a range of address to each room.

For me, any expensive grading exam is in the class room.  Not much good for on-line classes though.

In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

How about a different approach?

If you provide a large bank of questions (100s or 1000s) that the quizzes draw from at random, then each learner/candidate effectively gets a different quiz. Even if they take screen shots, few of the questions will correspond to what other learners/candidates see in their quizzes.

However, coming up with high quality quiz questions is a lot of highly skilled work. I guess it depends on how far you're willing to go to prevent/discourage copying.

If possible, I'd recommend giving more "open book" tests/exams. Not only are they more difficult to cheat at, i.e. everyone's answer will be different according to their own understandings of the concepts and themes, but they also encourage learners to study the course material in greater depth and for greater understanding, and are more representative of learners' knowledge.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

by john Simpson -

Would it help to set one question at a time displayed per page in random?

I've also seen published test books offering students different tests, eg, Tests for students A, Tests for students B for example.Yes as stated above, it soon becomes obvious on Moodle that you can endup with a large bank of relevent questions to place in each quiz.

Establishments such as British Council are providing serious computer exams internationally, but I would assume that important exams are taken in classrooms with laptops under strict supervision. NO Smartphones allowed in Examination room.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/czechrepublic-exams-computer-based-exams.htm

Just brainstorming. Hope it helps.

In reply to john Simpson

by Sanaz Parsaei -

Wow,

Thank you very much everybody for your insights.

I think randomize questions  will be the best answer for my client.  Also Safe Exam Browser can be a very good option that I will look into it.

All the best,

Sanaz