Can we have a "My Forum" , "Favorites Forum" or Personal Forum?

Can we have a "My Forum" , "Favorites Forum" or Personal Forum?

by Robert Barone -
Number of replies: 3
What I mean is that frequently we come across that Forum posting that just solves the problem that has kept you up for two nights -- like how to activate the main menu in a new 1.5 installation, or just something you think you would like to keep and read later -- and so I think it would be great if I could just click on a save button. The save button would bring me to a page where I could create a new category or save it in an old category. Let's say I'm mainly interested in two forums or just a couple of threads, I could re-create those and save it in the appropriate one. The Forums are awfully big and having some way to "edit" them individually seems like a good idea. Having the messages come to you as e-mails (in order to save them) is possible but a little overwhelming -- I've tried it. Also, we can make these personal forums public, so that if I know someone is interested in flash, for example, and I haven't been following the forums for awhile, I might check to see what he has collected. Perhaps we could also great smaller, more intimate groups. Got the idea from photo sites that let you create your own album. You spend a lot of time looking for the right picture but you are not ready to buy, so you save the picture (just the link obviously) in your own album for future reference. An idea?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Barone

Re: Can we have a "My Forum" , "Favorites Forum" or Personal Forum?

by David Scotson -

The pragmatist in me suggests that your browser bookmarks/favourites are probably the best way to achieve this for your own use. Simply bookmark the forum, discussion or post with a brief note about why you think it's important and you should be able to retrieve it later with no trouble at all (the better your browser the easier this will be).

The techn-utopian in me thinks that some folksonomic categorisation / shared bookmarks tagging system built into the Moodle forums would be ideal for this kind of task. However most Moodle sites are not as public or as well trafficed as Moodle.org so the benefit of adding this functionality would probably be limited for most Moodle users.

However, combining these thoughts, and remembering that Moodle.org is available on the open web, I'm wondering how succesful it would be to link to various specific posts via del.icio.us, furl or some other social bookmarking tool that allows tagging of URLs (which is what basically everything in Moodle.org is when you get right down to it).

The new Technorati redisign lists lots of stuff for the tag:moodle including moodle photos from Flickr and moodle links from furl, and from delicous

So hooking up with some external service and allowing people to use that system to categorise, rate and link the contents of Moodle.org would seem to be a way forward.

In reply to David Scotson

by Robert Barone -
Thanks for the reply and for the new words that I have learned. Achieving this for my use, as you understood, was not really the point. I was thinking of the benefits of having a large group of people organizing the information on the forums in different or individual ways. On this photo site I really like seeing how others have thought of using the same photos, or when you find someone that likes the same things you do, you check in to see what they have added recently. Wouldn't it be fairly easy to add a "save" button and then a choice as to where to save? What might be difficult is what to do next. These "groupings" shouldn't be administered and they would have to kept separate from the established groups. How would they be organized, listed, and made available to everyone? The question is if something interesting could develop for all Moodle users.
In reply to Robert Barone

by vk JAIN -
I maked someone a moderator so he could change things too^^
but... he did'nt saw under on my forum ''administration panel''
so how change that??

----------------------------------
vijendra jain
----------------------------------

Online Dating