SCORM - am I trying for the impossible?

SCORM - am I trying for the impossible?

by Onespace Learning -
Number of replies: 10

I've just discovered SCORM (and this particular forum). I was thinking it was the answer to all my problems, but maybe it isn't after all...

My main question is: Can I make a SCORM 1.2 learning object with free-text questions and get Moodle to store the answers in the database, associated with that user?

So, maybe a question within a learning object like "Write about a time when you had to make a difficult decision. How do you feel about it now?" ... could Moodle store the actual text of the answer, or only just a "grade" to show that the question was answered?

If someone(s) can give me a definite yes or no to that, it'll help me avoid a lot of searching and time-wasting...

Thanks

- Paddy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Onespace Learning

Re: SCORM - am I trying for the impossible?

by Catherine Pinnell -

I have not seen SCORM do this in Moodle. I'm  fairly new to this as well, so please correct me if I'm wrong, folks. smile

When I want every answer tracked, I use Moodle quizzes.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Why does it have to be SCORM? You can do this with a Moodle text assignment or the essay type question in a Quiz.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Onespace Learning -

Thanks for replies. I'm still requiring a very unMoodley interface. I wish I could do it all in Moodle but also meet the requirements of the people I'm working for sad

The Feedback activity is the nearest thing to what I want (with a series of Longer Text questions), but I can't intersperse the questions with pictures and explanatory text which is what's required. I find the Feedback activity one of the easier ones to look at learners' replies though.

A classic example of someone (not me!) choosing the tool before finding out what the requirements were. sad

If it helps others, I haven't found any info elsewhere that suggests that it's possible to type long text answers into SCORMs and have them save into Moodle; If they could somehow be saved to a Feedback data row, that would be wonderful.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The Feedback activity is the nearest thing to what I want (with a series of Longer Text questions), but I can't intersperse the questions with pictures and explanatory text which is what's required.

But you can do all this with the Quiz? Or is it that your people don't think it is attractive enough?

by Peter Bowen -

You could try using an SQL report (I Use configurable reports block) and pull student responses straight from the database.

Unfortunately it is a little difficult to split specific question responses, however here is an example where it pulls all the responses into a table. (This is where a specific SCORM package ID is 67...

SELECT u.username, u.firstname, u.lastname, sst.element, sst.value
FROM prefix_scorm_scoes_track AS sst
INNER JOIN prefix_user AS u
ON u.id=sst.userid
WHERE sst.scormID=67
AND sst.element LIKE "%student_response%"

Cheers
Peter

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello,

SCORM does have the ability to store a fill-in type question where the answer can contain a few words.  Moodle supports SCORM 1.2, so if the answers can be less than 255 characters in length, then yes you can use the SCORM activity.  To make this work you will first need a tool that supports the cmi.interactions fields of SCORM and supports the saving of text input into the appropriate field.  

Moodle will report on the cmi.interactoins fields at the individual level, but if you want to run a more global report on all uses you will need to look into the Configurable Reports or Ad-hoc database reports and create your own SQL query to pull that data out.

If you are looking at more than 255 characters for the answers, SCORM 2004 does allow larger answers to be stored in the cmi.interactions, however, Moodle has limited support for SCORM 2004.  If your tool outputs to SCORM 2004 you can try it and see if it will work.  

To guarantee support for more than 255 characters you have two choices, use the built in Moodle Quiz capabilities or look at the Tin Can API at http://tincanapi.com/ and tools that support it.  However, Moodle does not yet have support fore this API as part of it's core so you will need to install the plug-in and create an account on SCORM.com to store the data and report against it.

In reply to Ron Meske

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

btw - we added a feature for Moodle 2.7 that allows SCORM 1.2 packages to store a larger amount of data if the SCORM package allows it.

more info in MDL-41476 

But... this only works if your SCORM package is configured to send more data - many SCORM authoring tools will export packages that prevent data from being sent to the LMS that goes over the limits.

by Andrew Downes -

Hi Paddy,

Moodle will store any valid SCORM data that your SCORM package sends, including the learners response. Note though that this may be capped by number of characters. See https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216092.

Also note that SCORM is now a very old standard and the people behind SCORM have published a new tracking standard known as Tin Can or Experience API. 

Andrew

In reply to Andrew Downes

by Onespace Learning -

Great, that's useful to know. Can anyone give tips on which SCORM creation packages support this text feedback: it might be useful in future.

Thanks

- Paddy