Backup Report says OK but where are my backups?

Backup Report says OK but where are my backups?

by Dave Arnold -
Number of replies: 5

I turned on automated backups with to backup and selected save to path and entered a path.  The backup report looks good.  Several courses say OK but there are not files in the folder so where did they go?  I don't see them in them on the restore page of any of the courses either (not that they should be there).  Has anyone else experienced this? 

We are using 2.5.3+  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Arnold

Re: Backup Report says OK but where are my backups?

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Dave,

I don't mean to state the obvious, but have you checked that the directory exists and has permissions? Could another software (e.g. AV) be interfering?

http://docs.moodle.org/25/en/Automated_course_backup

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Dave Arnold -

Thanks for the reply.  I am able access them from the course page under the automated backup section.  I have a lot of user backups so I did not scroll down far enough to see the automated section.  Having that said I still don't know why they are there and not in the directory I specified. I may be permissions.  I just changed the permissions and will run another test.  Thank you for pointing that out.  I'll post an updated after testing.

by Dave Arnold -

It was a permissions issue.  Allowing the web user write access to the folder fixed the problem. You would think the backup report, or logs would say there was a problem  Lesson learned.  Looks like it working perfectly now. 

In reply to Dave Arnold

by Guillermo Madero -

Excellent! Yes

I guess that a decision mas made so that in case of failure when using a defined path the module should then use the course area, but yes, the issue should also be reported at the logs. Did you check at the web server error log for any indication? When in doubt, it is always best to start with Debugging.

by Dave Arnold -

I did check the server error logs before posting the question but didn't see anything about permissions. Debugging is turned off on this site because it's a production site that is extremely busy. We have a non-production copy that I was about to use but thankfully changing the permissions fixed the issue.