Get rid of fullname override parameter

Get rid of fullname override parameter

by Rex Lorenzo -
Number of replies: 2

I recently created this tracker issue: MDL-46653 - Get rid of fullname override parameter

The problem is that with the introduction of the Additional name fields in Moodle 2.6 (MDL-31776 - Additional name fields), we tried setting the setting $CFG->fullnamedisplay to take advantage of this new feature. However, there are several places in Moodle in which the fullname() function is passed with the $override parameter and our $CFG->fullnamedisplay setting is ignored.

My question is the $override flag needed and does it still make sense with the "Additional name fields" feature?

In the ticket I list the places in which the override flag is set and it is annoying to have a config setting not respected across the system without a good reason.

Please reply if you can give some good use cases for keeping the override flag that I am not thinking of or vote for the feature if you are also annoyed by this implementation.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rex Lorenzo

Re: Get rid of fullname override parameter

by Adrian Greeve -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers

just a bit of information regarding the history of the override parameter for people that don't know. It is normally marked true when the user has the capability moodle/site:viewfullnames. Sometimes it is desirable on some sites to limit what names the students can see, but still allow teachers to see the full names of everyone.

Since the introduction of the additional name fields and the alteration of the fullnamedisplay setting, we are now in the strange situation that if all of the fields are configured in the fullnamedisplay setting that people with the moodle/site:viewfullnames capability are actually shown less information.

I think that we could still make use of the moodle/site:viewfullnames capability and so I have been working on MDL-40356 which adds an additional setting for configuring how names are displayed with this capability. Perhaps people could comment here if they think that a new parameter is a good idea or not.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Adrian Greeve

Re: Get rid of fullname override parameter

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

+1 sounds like the best solution.