Discussion posts and reply notifications

Discussion posts and reply notifications

by Peter Eckstein -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

In the course I'm teaching I receive emails when someone posts a new discussion and when I reply to a discussion post, but I don't get email notifications to other students' replies to new discussion posts, or replies to replies. 

My profile is set up so that I do get Forum Auto-Reply and Auto-Tracking. I don't administer the site so I'm not able to set RSS up for each forum, and I'm not sure that would be appropriate anyway.

There is this thing called Personal Learning Designer....Is this where I would configure a rule that would send me an email for each post, reply and reply to a reply?

The moodle version is 2.6

Thanks!

Peter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Eckstein

Re: Discussion posts and reply notifications

by Sakshi Goel -

Hello Peter,

Please check whether you are subscribed to the forum in the course or not. You can set Subscription mode in Forum to be "Auto" or "Forced" subscription . It initially subscribed all the students to the forum and get mail for forum post.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Peter Eckstein -

Hi Sakshi,

I am subscribed in the forums, that's what's weird.

Peter

by Sakshi Goel -

Please check whether your emails are going in spam, junk or any other folder in your account.

In reply to Sakshi Goel

by Peter Eckstein -

the emails are going nowhere. And this evening one of the students replied to a reply to one of my posts.....i replied to his post.  My reply was emailed to me...his posts weren't.  I dont' get it.  I create the forums and force subscription. My profile has me subscribed to all forums...so why aren't I getting all forum responses by email?

by Paula Clough -

Peter,

You might go to  your profile, then look under the Administration block (Settings in 2.0-2.4) then go to the Messaging link. Check the settings for subscribed forum posts in the email column and make sure you have both the when I'm logged in and when I'm logged in lines checked.  Sometimes these get changed and then the posts don't go through.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Peter Eckstein -

Hi Paula,

I checked....I'm subscribed to email notifications.  Maybe I'm expecting more then the system can give......I want all forum posts to come to me by email, It could be that notifications of students' replies to replies just can't be sent?

by Paula Clough -

Sorry,

I don't know anything else to check on the regular Moodle. Perhaps someone else does.

If you have the PLD from MoodleRooms, you can try that.  There is a possiblity you can set up a rule for the forum replies, but I don't know if that will also do the replies to replies.  You might try it.  Since I don't have an active class at the moment that I can check it on, I can't check it very thoroughly.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Malcolm Jaros -

Greetings.

As an "end user" I have no insight to offer but at UKZN we have been experiencing a problem similar to that described by Peter, but worse.  Emails are generated by only about one in ten posts by students and none of my posts, as teacher.  From the little feedback I have had from the IT people, the problem is widespread (not just my course) and may be with the email system rather than the Moodle 2.6 that we recently commissioned.

Regards, Malcolm Jaros