Essential 2.7.4a - Pre-release for testing.

Essential 2.7.4a - Pre-release for testing.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 26
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Moodlers,

Please could you test Essential 2.7.4a (Release candidate) before it is officially released and put your comments on this thread.

You can download from: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/2.7.4a

Release notes:

- FIX: Issue #68.  Expand all not showing on Edit course settings.

- FIX: Issue #58.  Add font colour setting.

- FIX: Issue #63.  Slider caption overlap.

- FIX: Issue #66.  Link Colour Not Working.

- FIX: Reverted icons back to #999.

- FIX: Alternative colour sets all now have the same CSS, docking fixed and consistent with settings.

- NEW: Alternative colour sets have text and link colour settings.

- NEW: Optimised svg's to be smaller.

- NEW: Warning about IE8 as M2.6 does not support it - http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.6_release_notes#Requirements.

Cheers,

Gareth

P.S. I know that not everything has been done on the issues list.  We have concentrated on perhaps the more contentious recent issues.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential 2.7.4a - Pre-release for testing.

by m question -

is it same as in this link https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/archive/master.zip

if yes, I download it 

in firefox when I change language to arabic the navigation bar change and expand in size , however,  in chrome I did not have this problem

am not sure if this is CSS issue , so I post it here.

In reply to m question

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The master link is newer than the one published above.

Thanks.  The firefox header issue is new.

by m question -

thanks

it's actually in IE and firefox 

the site short name also change its place so I think it causes the change in header size

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi all,

I have made a few improvements and there is now a 2.7.4b for testing: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/2.7.4b -

- FIX: Issue #68.  Expand all not showing on Edit course settings.
- FIX: Issue #58.  Add font colour setting.
- FIX: Issue #63.  Slider caption overlap.
- FIX: Issue #66.  Link Colour Not Working.
- FIX: Issue #85.  Header logo location in RTL.
- FIX: Alternative colour sets all now have the same CSS, docking fixed and consistent with settings.
- FIX: Moved all RTL to separate sheet from main CSS.  Sheet 'essential-rtl' uses 'flipped' technology whilst 'rtl' sheet has manual styles.
- FIX: Issue #78.  Category icon issue in RTL.
- NEW: Warning about IE8 as M2.6 does not support it - http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.6_release_notes#Requirements.

If all goes to plan, then there will be a formal release later this week.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Ciao Gareth and thanks for your great work.
I just installed moodle-theme_essential-2.7.4b in 2.8dev (Build: 20140626)

> What is immediately wrong to my eyes is that the theme is only apparently fluid.
Increasing the size of the browser page it does not increase the width of the <div id="page" class="container-fluid">.
It uses:

.container-fluid {
max-width: 1200px;
}
and it sounds to me this is an accessibility issue.

> I see problems, using default colors, browsing the XML editor. The contrast is definitely missing. See attachment.

> Still on the XML editor page. Scroll down the page. Let's say: "Go to
report/log/db" even if each loadable plugin is fine too. Load it. Once the plugin is loaded, moodle reload the XML page scrolling it in order to put the report/log/db row as FIRST visible row of the page. In this theme, as in each theme using the header bar, the first row is covered by the header bar. This is misleading. A fix to this issue should be applied to each core theme using header bar.

Hope this may help.
Cheers.
Attachment Schermata 2014-07-29 a 07.56.19.png
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Gareth J Barnard -

Progress: Issues #88 and #90 fixed, #87 is not a bug: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Moodlers.

2.7.4c is now available for testing: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/2.7.4c

The release list is now:

- FIX: Moved all RTL to separate sheet from main CSS.  Sheet 'essential-rtl' uses 'flipped' technology whilst 'rtl' sheet has manual styles.
- FIX: Issue #90.  XML Editor last used.
- FIX: Issue #88.  XML editor contrast issues.
- FIX: Issue #89.  Dock causes horizontal scroll bar.
- NEW: If the page width setting is narrow and there are custom menu items the navigation bar and page adjusts to cope.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Alex Luty -
Hi, Gareth. Can you do two simple things? 1. I would like to be able to switch the view of categories of courses on main page between old style (as tree) and new ( as greed). 2. Opportunity to make the background image to fill the screen, or stretch to screen. So, without this I must to use jnly 2.6 version with some my changes in source code... Thanks in advance, Xander.
In reply to Alex Luty

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Alex,

Words are simple, software is not.  The category issue as already been raised and is on the waiting list: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/57 - I suspect that it is at least an hours work to get it right.  I've classified it as an enhancement as its not really a bug with the way the software does not work, nor a big colour clash.

With the background image it already does fill the screen.  At least on version 2.7.4c.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Daniele Cordella -

I see a undesired horizontal scroll bar in the browser window even if the width of the page is huge. See attachment.

Attachment Schermata 2014-07-29 a 08.51.36.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

Dear Daniele,

Thank you for reporting the issues.  The:

• container-fluid might be a bootstrapbase constraint on all themes.
  • XML editor does need fixing.
  • horizontal scroll bar looks like being caused by the dock and might be solvable with simple CSS.

I'll see what I can do to fix all of them for 2.7.4 but some may need to wait until 2.7.5 due to the pressures of the fixes being needed in 2.7.4.

Cheers,

Gareth

by Daniele Cordella -

In the "Colour Settings" page two new color pickers need to be added.

They are needed for the colour of the text in breadcrumb and for the colour of the text in navigation bar.

Without them it is possible to change the "Theme Colour" getting pages not contrasted enough. (choose light yellow, for instance, and breadcrumb and navigation bar are no longer readable). See attachment.

Currently the two texts have fixed colour as they are defined in

line 300 of essential.css:

.navbar .nav > li > a {
  color: #fff;

and line 2153 of essential.css:

.breadcrumb-nav ul.breadcrumb.style1 li {
  color: white;
Attachment Schermata 2014-07-30 a 15.51.44 (1).png

by Daniele Cordella -

As far as each text is vertically and horizontally centered in its "box" (see navigation bar elements and breadcrumb elements), the same should be achieved for the labels of the docked blocks. See attachment.

Attachment Schermata 2014-07-30 a 16.13.41.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Daniele,

The docking code is a nightmare that causes sleepless nights and dreams of dread.  The font size is hard coded into the core docking code: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_27_STABLE/lib/yui/src/dock/js/dock.js#L178-L183 - so this is easier said than fixed.

I've raised https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/issues/94 but this one may take time.

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Moodlers,

Version 2.7.4d for pre-release testing: https://github.com/DBezemer/moodle-theme_essential/releases/tag/2.7.4d

- FIX: Issue #90.  XML Editor last used.
- FIX: Issue #88.  XML editor contrast issues.
- FIX: Issue #89.  Dock causes horizontal scroll bar.
- FIX: Issue #93.  Navbar / breadcrumb colour setting needed for contrast issues.
- NEW: If the page width setting is narrow and there are custom menu items the navigation bar and page adjusts to cope.
- NEW: Optimised colour setting code in lib.php.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by S. Ali -

Thanks for the great work and effort spent in fine tuning the theme. Much appreciated.

Here are some observations regarding moodle-theme_essential-2.7.4d

• Alternative color does not extend right across for the navbar - the ends show the main theme color
  • Footer no longer extends across full width, neither does gray logo bar at top (not sure if it's intended to be like this)
  • Picture stretched disproportionally in Chrome browser

Sample1

• With an alternative color selected the user logged on and Short Site name is not visible due to the text color
  • Also, when hovering over the menu items, the text color is the same reverse color for the main theme color and not clearly seen with the alternative colors

Sitename and Username not visible

• Marketing image not displayed when "Height of marketing images” is set to anything besides 50
  • When "Use the old navbar” is set to yes position remains unchanged but the bar is reduced in size

navbar position unchanged

• The narrative for the url/link colour for the alternative theme colours needs to be changed as it says "Alternative theme hover colour 2” [applies to all 3 alternatives]

• When the alternativethemeurlcolor1 is changed the new color is displayed in the theme colour picker as the alternative theme colour and not the main theme colour e.g. purple

That's it for now.

Apologies for the long post.

Best regards.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi S. Ali,

Thank you I'll see what I can fix or at least triage.

The settings will always be fixed to represent the values they hold and do not change with the alternatives.  There are plans afoot to change the alternatives code to something else, so I'm not going to spend any more time fixing issues.  The best thing for now is to turn them off and tweak the theme with the new colour settings.

Gareth

by m question -

thank you for your work

I downloaded Essential 2.7.4 d

1) category icon issue the same,   when changing language to Arabic (RTL) appears 

2)the page looks different , I am not sure if it meant to be like this , but header and footer does not scale to all page , all theme is inside middle part of page , see the image please

4)when enable old nav option there is white space , again maybe it meant to look like this i am not sure

5) firefox issue I report it before is not there any more and header works fine in firefox and chrome

6) when selecting RTL , social icons move to left but the logo move to middle

can I  suggest that if it's possible to make the logo fixed to left always even when changing language, like there will be option when uploading the logo to choose its place left , right, middle or even without selecting the place , it will be fixed on left and does not change  when changing laguage , I hope you consider it

thank you again for your effort and time

In reply to m question

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi moodle question,

A lot of this I have fixed but it appears the CSS switching code for RTL with TDM off is not working.  I'll look into it.

Gareth

by Daniele Cordella -

I am sorry Gareth, but I am not sure about your answer because of two reasons:

1) I found that by using "clean" as theme, all text are well horizontally and vertically centered in the dock.

2) By changing the name of the ./essential/style folder to ./essential/stylex (so, hiding each specific theme style) I found that the text are, again, well horizontally and vertically centered in the dock.

Are we really sure that the issue does not depend from the essential styles?

by Daniele Cordella -

Looking at the small video I recorded you can see that reducing the size of the browser window, the 2 blocks on the left first fall down, then reappear smaller.

Is this the expected behavior?

You can find for few days my video in https://www.dropbox.com/s/uibvxm0qy7t0215/come_and_go.swf

If you know a way to attach it to my post, please do it.

I will delete it in few days.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Daniele,

The video is corrupted, please convert to avi.  In all probability this is a slight responsive blip, something I fixed in core ages ago with the media queries for different screen sizes and the BS2.3.2 grid.

I will revisit the dock issue, but the font kerning could be a factor as the fonts are different.

All: - I will look at what you have posted, thanks and will reply to each point as soon as possible.  It is inevitable that not all issues will be fixed for 2.7.4 (despite my OCD of needing all known bugs eliminated and good maintainable code).  Of course you could always help by forking the master branch on GitHub, fixing the issues and submitting a pull request as many hands make light work.

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Daniele Cordella -

grrr and super grrr

On this computer I can see the problem but I can not use quicktime to create the video because the OS is quite old.

On the other newer computer, where I went to install essential 2.7.4d, the problem is not present.

I am sorry. Let's say the problem does not exist even if I have the swf video here showing it. sad

by Gareth J Barnard -

Oh, don't worry, just tried loading the file with IE and it works.  Ok, what browser did you record the issue on?

With screen widths less than a certain value then the blocks are meant to drop underneath.  I think it might be something to do with the double height navbar in certain resolutions.

Cannot replicate on Win 7 with Chrome 36, Firefox 31 and IE 11.  Please make sure that Moodle is the latest as I said before there was a core fix I did, see: MDL-44074.