Tool for grading computer science assignments integrated with Moodle

Tool for grading computer science assignments integrated with Moodle

by Jorge Villalon -
Number of replies: 2

Hi moodlers,

I'm a professor at Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez in Chile and teach some IT courses, we have moodle 1.4 installed in our courses site and, as part of my job, i must grade over 300 programming assignments in a semester.

I'm working in a tool for assisting grading in computer science programming assignments, its current name is csgrader for Computer Science Grader Assistant and you can find it in SourceForge (with its source code). One feature is the automated download of assignments submitted to a Moodle server.

I hope this can be useful for anyone who grades a lot of assignments, i'm full of ideas for creating tools for helping teachers and integrating Moodle with the PC.

If you have any comments or anything please mail me, i would be happy to help any moodler wink

Sorry for my english (it isn't good enough yet).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jorge Villalon

Re: Tool for grading computer science assignments integrated with Moodle

by Brian Koontz -
I will be checking this out!  I've been tossing around ideas to somehow integrate access to a compiler from within Moodle (right now our COSC students upload their assignments to a Unix server, separate from the Moodle server).  The biggest obstacle I've come across is the security aspects.  I'm hesitant to implement any solution which would allow students low-level access to the same server that Moodle is running on.

--Brian
In reply to Brian Koontz

Re: Tool for grading computer science assignments integrated with Moodle

by Jorge Villalon -

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same. The tool i've been working is for downloading assignments from the Moodle server for compiling in the client, it's highly graphical and features like copy & paste to Excel are in the center of my concerns.

I'd like to add automatic correction (using a specific input and setting an expected output), but always keeping the information in the client.

When the Gradebook is enabled for uploading grades in files i'll work in a plugin for uploading grades directly from Excel or the GUI.