Essential Theme - IE & Firefox Problems

Essential Theme - IE & Firefox Problems

by Stephen Livesey -
Number of replies: 9

Hello,

I've installed the essential theme on a sandbox version of 2.6 and have some problems with compatibility on IE and Firefox. It's looks good on chrome but not on IE or Firefox. See screenshots below:

IE8:

IE8

Firefox: The menu bar has doubled up for some reason and slider images are now massive!

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to editing themes so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Stephen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Livesey

Re: Essential Theme - IE & Firefox Problems

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi, can you first please tell me what operating system you are running this 'sandbox' instance of Moodle on when testing this theme, and also the version of FireFox as there are many?

I must also point out that there are quite a number of issues with the Essential theme, many of which have been reported but not yet fixed. However the slider is one that has been reported and fixed so may be an idea to upgrade the theme, and try again?

Thank you

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stephen Livesey -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the quick response, I'm using Firefox: 30.0 and Windows 7 to test the site. I've added some image dimensions to slides.css and it seems to have fixed the Firefox problem but IE8 is still an issue. I've got the latest version of Essential so not sure what to try to fix the IE problem,...

Any help is much appreciated.

Kind regards

Stephen

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you are using Windows 7 how come you have IE8? I thought IE8 stopped with XP which is depreciated and not supported now.

You need to really update to IE10 or IE11 but you will probably need Win7 SP2 to upgrade to IE11.

The images are clashing with a new CSS setting in Moodle. Images where originally responsive meaning that they resized into the space they occupied. With the new setting this has been reversed so the images are not resizing as they should.  At least I think that is what's going on.

I need to get Gareth to answer you as I am not sure now what's happening in Essential, at least in the screen-shot you added.

Have you actually made ANY changes be it to the layout or added any CSS?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Stephen Livesey -

Thanks Mary,

Unfortunately quite a few of our students still use IE8 so we need the theme to be compatible if possible? I have made minor changes to the CSS files just to add a little branding etc. 

Stephen

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, I cannot speak for David, but I highly doubt that the theme will be altered to support IE8.  The reasons are as follows:

• Microsoft no longer supports the browser and has produced an Enterprise version of IE11 to support legacy systems.  Follow the link on https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=262678.
  • Moodle 2.6 itself does not support IE8 - http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.6_release_notes#Requirements.
  • Anybody running IE8 still in my opinion is foolhardy and letting themselves open to all sorts of security loopholes and therefore Moodle theme support is the least of their worries.  In fact if you are still running IE8, be afraid, be VERY afraid and make sure you have a change of underpants.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Stephen Livesey -

Thanks Gareth, fair point. I avoid IE at all costs so my underpants are safe. 

We do encourage our students to update their browsers and recommend the latest version of chrome but unfortunately we can't dictate this. It's unfortunate as it looks like approx 10% of our students are using either IE 8 or 9 (Same problem in IE9) and we really like the theme.

Stephen

by Mary Evans -

Oh...forgot to say that the menu doubling up in FireFox is caused by the ZOOM you need to Zoom out Ctrl + -

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mari Cruz García -

In addition to Mary's and Gareth's advise, the double line is created when the text in the 'Custom menu' bar is too big so. You are also going to have that problem if you use small screens.

You can make the font-size of the logging message smaller by modifying:

essential/theme/style/custom.css

.logininfo,

.logininfo a {

color: #fff !important;

font-size: 13px; 

}

and the font size of the elements starting with

.navbar

in custom.css

In reply to Mari Cruz García

by Stephen Livesey -

Hi Mari, thanks for the advice. The navbar looks fine now, just struggling with IE. 

Cheers

Stephen