PoodLL Calculator Appearance in Mozilla Firefox 30

PoodLL Calculator Appearance in Mozilla Firefox 30

by Rodney Wolford -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I have noticed that when I scale my Mozilla Firefox Browser v30 below 100% (which I know some users do) it cuts off part of the calculator's frame. I have tried adding width % in the frame in which the calculator appears, but it makes no difference. If browser scale percentage is below 100%, the calculator is chopped off on the right and bottom. Any fixes you can think of? I'm posting a sample with browser at 90%. I am using Moodle 2.6.4 the theme is essential 2.7.1.

Regards

Rod

Attachment PoodLL_calculator_90%_Firefox_30.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rodney Wolford

Re: PoodLL Calculator Appearance in Mozilla Firefox 30

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Actually that is true of all the PoodLL flash widgets, they don't scale when the browser zooms in or out. 

In this case though, you can just the JS version of the calculator, and that  works better.

Try this

{POODLL:type=calculator,runtime=js}

You can also add width and height and size params if you wish. Something like this:

{POODLL:type=calculator,size=tiny,width=400,height=800,runtime=js}

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Rodney Wolford -

Thank you very much!

This works much better, though I still have some of the calculator's right and bottom sides missing as the attached image shows. I have also experimented with using percentages for width, but that has no effect.

Overall, this calculator works very, very well. Users like its appearance.

Regards,

Rod

Attachment PoodLL_calculator_90%_Firefox_30 _using Poodll Javascript2.gif

by Rodney Wolford -

Just another add on to the above post. In exploring this in firebug inspector I have found that the iframe poodll sets up for the calculator is always smaller than the calculator size. Thus, it is cropped even in the js version. Any thoughts?

Rod

by Justin Hunt -

Aha, that could be it. I knew about the truncating but never got the bottom of it. 

I will look at that when I can, but it might be a while.   Unless it is critical ...

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Rodney Wolford -
Obviously, sooner the better, but no one will die if it takes longer. I just appreciate that you maintain this plugin. So thank you for that!

By the way, if you can just guide me to the place where the iframe is set or give me a sample of what the html code for it would look like, I'd be happy to try to find my own solution and share it. I have tried inserting the iframe using tinymce, but it strips everything out or changes the characters when I display it.

Either way, thanks,

Rod
In reply to Justin Hunt

by Rodney Wolford -

Hello Justin,

My post on this issue was now about 2 weeks ago. I see a lot of traffic that has passed beneath your pen since then. Makes me feel this issue is being left in the dust. I'm willing to do some of the work, but without a place to start, it's just not possible. The calculator cut off is even worse in IE.

Regards,

Rod

by Justin Hunt -
Sorry Rodney. I am sure you can imagine the pile of dust gathering items scattered around PoodLL.  I have to do a little work on the filter this week, so I will see if I can't get a fix then.

Justin 

by Justin Hunt -

Rodney

I spent a little time on it yesterday. It is a little more complex than just the iframe sizes etc. The JS code for the calculator is exported from the same source that creates the flash version. It uses a framework called OpenLaszlo.  In the exported code we seem to be getting the sizing issue. I did not write the original calculator, but I did have to get deep into it when creating the three sizes (normal, small and tiny).

To be honest it would require getting into the code and recompiling it. Knowing OpenLaszlo, I think that could be a bit of a time sink, and I certainly wouldn't recommend you going that route. 

A better investment of time would be to get an all JS calculator and replace the original PoodLL calculator with that.

A quick google, came up with this:

http://thecodeplayer.com/walkthrough/javascript-css3-calculator

If that works for you, or you find something you like better, let me know and I will try and put it in.