Captivate 8 HTML5 SCORM Activity - Popup Issue (Frames?)

Captivate 8 HTML5 SCORM Activity - Popup Issue (Frames?)

by David Jumeau -
Number of replies: 17

I created an Adobe Captivate 8 course packaged as an HTML5 course exported as SCORM 2004. (I had it set to black as a background.)

In Moodle, I configured the SCORM activity settings to:

Display Package: New Window

Width: 100%

Height: 100%

Display course structure in player: Disabled

Then when opening it in Firefox, I get extra spacing on the top and on to the right as if the course is embedded in frames. (As seen in the image below.) Is there a way to remove this? 

Here is a screen capture:

SCORM pop up window with Captivate 8 course

I am using the bootstrap Clean theme. 

David

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Jumeau

Re: Captivate 8 HTML5 SCORM Activity - Popup Issue (Frames?)

by Doug Moody -

David,

I am "captivated" by your use of the Adobe software and what you are doing. Can you give more details of how you create your content? You can communicate with me offline if that would be more appropriate.

BTW, due to Firefox's other issues, I instruct all my students to use Chrome. Do you have the same issues with Chrome? Have you tried changing the screen resolution of the user's machine? I have had similar issues with other presentations, and it usually winds up being either a cache issue or a resolution issue on the viewer's computer.

Also, stay away from Internet Explorer. Not a good choice for much of anything!

In reply to Doug Moody

by David Jumeau -

Hi Doug,

Yes, it appears in Chrome as in Firefox. Probably, I would need to modify the Captivate file to have the background white as the other frames. 

Thanks for the advice regarding browsers. Unfortunately, when working in a corporate environment, it is difficult to give advice to change preferred browsers the IT department recommends on using.

I have used Captivate 8 for this demo along with Photoshop, Illustrator, and Edge Animate with the Creative Cloud. 

What I like about Captivate 8 is the ability to use responsive web design. Albeit it only uses 3 break points for desktop, tablet, and mobile. (Typically, you can add as many break points with media queries such as Adobe Reflow or Edge Animate.) Each break point can be adjusted according to screen width. (Let's say that if you are not satisfied with 1024 as a screen width for desktop mode, you can adjust the  width to 1280 if you wish.)

In context of responsive web design, Captivate 8 uses a parent-child relationship, meaning that it is recommended to start at the desktop level so that the tablet and mobile breakpoints would inherit the CSS. Once the desktop version is adequate, then you move on to designing in tablet mode and then to mobile mode. 

It's recommended that you use percentage based positioning for your media and text placement.

Just to give you a heads up, some people might say that it takes less time to created a course. I think it is a misconception. There is a great deal of testing regardless whatever platform you are using. Adobe also integrated Edge Inspect so that you can view your course in different mobile devices (provided that Edge Inspect is installed.)

Here is an Adobe Connect link: http://bit.ly/aelugm_carolina_06_19_14

I hope this is the answer you are looking for.

In reply to David Jumeau

by Doug Moody -

David,

Thank you for that advice. I have contacted Adobe for educational pricing. But since I have never used Captivate (I use my own homegrown ways to create content and then play it as MP4 files using POODLE), then I need to know if I have to change the way I deliver within Moodle.

What I would like to know is how you do that. That is, how you set up your Moodle to accept the content that Captivate generates. It seems you are simply letting Captivate create HTML5 content, and then inserting that within Moodle. If so how are you inserting it? Are you putting it within an HTML page, as a label, or some other way?

What I do now will determine what I do going forward from now on. I need to know if I should abandon my old way of doing it in favor of this technology. It sounds like the potential benefits of Captivate might be worth it, but it will mean a steep learning curve for me, and I have to count that cost as well.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

In reply to Doug Moody

by Phil Carlson -

I use Captivate for my content. Inserting is very easy. Inside of a course, when you add an activity or resource, select

SCORM package.

Inside of Captivate, you have to set preferences to upload to an LMS. Moodle is one of the choices.

In reply to Phil Carlson

by Doug Moody -

Phil,

Do you know of a demo moodle site that uses HTML5 generated from Captivate within SCORM? I would like to see what a student would see if it was done this way.

In reply to David Jumeau

by Guillermo Madero -

I thought SCORM 2004 was not supported in Moodle:

http://docs.moodle.org/27/en/SCORM_module

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by David Jumeau -
Thanks Guillermo,

Yes you are correct in stating that SCORM 1.2 is supported even though I was able to run the course. I will make the correction and have another go at it.

David

In reply to David Jumeau

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

as mentioned elsewhere - we don't provide support for SCORM 2004 packages but your display issue looks like it could be something we fixed in 2.7 - if you're using an earlier version of Moodle you could try applying this patch to see if it helps:

https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle/commit/3babdf83fe4554b47717991f2066100cfa30f02c

In reply to Dan Marsden

by David Jumeau -

Thanks for the clarification on SCORM 2004 support. It manages to run and it tracks, but I will create a new Captivate version with a SCORM 1.2 setting.

I am currently using Moodle 2.7 uploaded from June 2014 and have this issue.

In reply to David Jumeau

by Rick McDonald -

So, I have been trying this in 2.6. I have been able to get a SCORM 1.2 from a Captivate Responsive HTML5 only published project without any of the problems you noted. I can't really tell you what I did different than you.

It worked fine on my computer, but it displayed the computer version on my iPhone, too. Worse, the audio did not play on the iPhone. 

I am going to try my iPad next. I did make changes to each of the views. 

I am building quite a bit of content in Captivate. I've made it a bit further than my predecessor at this workplace, in that I have the SCORM packages loaded and they can track both slide views and quiz results. Still, I want to see the Captivate reach its full potential. Right now, I am wondering if its worth the extra trouble to build the Responsive project for the future hope of more success.

BTW, I tried using the settings you set to see if it helped, but no luck. Does the audio play for you on iPhones?

Thanks,

Rick

In reply to Rick McDonald

by sue grice -

Just wondering if you solved the problem of the iPhone view showing in main screen view? 

I have encountered the exact same problem

cheers

In reply to sue grice

by Rick McDonald -

No, but this weekend, I am going to try separating the quizzes and putting Captivate up as files instead.

In reply to Rick McDonald

by sue grice -

Hi Rick, 

I'v got it sorted, if you use either the 'clean' or 'bootstrap' theme within Moodle these recognise mobile devices and readjust to suit. Then when you run captivate within them they show the correct display sizes and layouts. 

It doesn't seem to make any difference if you include quizzes or not. 

Hope that helps you.

Cheers 

Sue

In reply to sue grice

by Rick McDonald -

I am going to try that right now. I did find that without SCORM, I could get the Responsive Design to work uploading the Captivate using the File Activity tool. I have a testing area with different themes, I will try it there.

Thanks,

Rick

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Brian Merritt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Dan

2.7 appears to have some strange behaviours (please see my post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=267327)  In particular, setting "Student Skip Content Structure Page" does nothing, and "disable preview mode" results in the Scorm "Enter" button disappearing.

Any ideas? Should I raise a tracker? 

In reply to Brian Merritt

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

hmm.. multiple cross-posts and no initial search of the tracker? Bad Brian! wink

In reply to Dan Marsden

by rame k -

hi dan,

I am new to moodle please guide me how to bookmark the user page.