Login using moodle users

Login using moodle users

by Gabi Bitis -
Number of replies: 7
Hi, We want to integrate our app that supports e-mail login, facebook login, google login and twitter login, with Moodle. Is there an API that we can use to login into our web app using Moodle users? Thanks, Gabriel
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gabi Bitis

Re: Login using moodle users

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, there is. It's available at http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moodle+authentication+API

I would also suggest to look at how other authentication plugins do their job - see https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=21 for examples.
In reply to David Mudrák

by dawn alderson -

awwww...to be fair David, this is a hot topic for all educators at the mo.

Googling authentication/plugins and on....is not an enjoyable task for teachers who want to just simply use social media for teaching-to be honest.  Tools in hand-will be used-tools that need a bit of work before application-can be a headache....yes-do shout at me! I don't mind.

Cheers,

Dawn smile

In reply to David Mudrák

by Gabi Bitis -

I'm not sure if I expressed myself right. Is there a Moodle authentication method similar to Facebook and Google authentication? I don't want to login to moodle with external users but i want to login to external apps with moodle users.

In reply to Gabi Bitis

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well, Moodle includes most (all?) of the common single sign on protocols such as CAS and Shibboleth and a range of others, so its probably more a case of which ones your external apps can use.

Its also possible to use webservices to create single sign on access to specific apps - again it depends on the app you are trying to access and how that app deals with authentication

In reply to Gabi Bitis

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
As Richard says, it all depends on those external apps you want to use.
In reply to David Mudrák

by dawn alderson -

Understand.

There is a potential gap here for teaching and learning.

You see, using Twitter for example, during sessions is on the increase in education. However, collating the tweets for reflective purposes,as a study aid, is limited...I am led to believe twitter comes with archive limitations.

Gap-fill: collation done in LMS, Moodle. As currently stands it is a case of copying and pasting into LMS.

really, just some thoughts.

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by ben reynolds -

Dawn,

There's stuff like Storify that people in the writing community have been using for several years to pull hashmarked tweets about a specific conference and/or presentation. I haven't done it myself.