Moodle is not teacher proof

Moodle is not teacher proof

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 5

When students and teachers - without a grade in IT - upload files, they use "normal symbols" like - in the naming of their files. The have no idea that these symbols have special meaning on some servers.. The files uploads correct, but - depending of the server - Moodle cannot find the file again when the users asks to download or open that file again. 

When I added this to the error-tracker I got the answer that Moodle headquarters will not solve this problem. 

I think this is the wrong answer: users will see it as a bug in Moodle, and from heir perspective they are right.

The symbols that may cause problems in names of files on some distribution systems, should not be allowed in the naming of files in the moodle core distribution.

regards, Ger

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Moodle is not teacher proof

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

What symbols?

What is the number of the tracker issue?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ger,

Are you referring to MDL-45519?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, but now we have it with other symbols  too (I think)

For example a Swedish student uploads a file with his name in it:  ö 

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Did you mean this one?  MDL-44937

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle becomes more teacher proof

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, that ü looks like our current ö problem, the previous occurence of the problem was using a + sign in the file name on a windows server.

(so both bugs are occuring under 2.5.+ and I read that is also under 2.6.+ )

By the way, the file is stored under that name, but the system cannot read it's own written  path...

>>  Why not extend the filtering-routine that also changes the space into an undersocre in file-naming?