Testing for Scheduler 2.7

Testing for Scheduler 2.7

by Henning Bostelmann -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Scheduler users

Some of you may have wondered when there will be a Moodle 2.7 version of Scheduler. Well, I've been doing some work on the master branch recently and the 2.7 version of Scheduler should be released soon, i.e., in July or August.

Your help in testing would be much appreciated.

Please note that the current master branch should not be used on production systems, it's for development/testing only! Wait for the "official" release, there will be a MOODLE_27_STABLE branch.

For the changes: Although you won't see so much from the user prespective, I've been cleaning up and rewriting a lot of old code paticularly in the student and teacher views. This also included a complete rewrite of all Javascript code (now based on YUI3) and some security enhancements (sessionid checking is now used throughout). While I have fixed some old bugs in the process, I'm sure that I have introduced some new ones as well; I really rely on you to find them!

Feature changes:
  • You can now allow students to book several appointments at once. (This does not work together with group scheduling, though.)
  • You can specify, on the activity level, a "guard time" to prevent late changes of slots. If, for example, the guard time is 2 days, then students will be able to book new appointments only if they are at least 2 days ahead, and they can't drop appointments if they are closer than 2 days.
  • The "volatile slots" feature, on the other hand, has been removed.

Also, Scheduler now supports the new logging API (Event 2). At the moment, I've added only very few events, basically when a student views the booking screen, adds or removes a booking. There are certainly dozens of other events that one might define as well, particularly on the teacher side, but I'm not sure which ones would really be useful. If you're missing any event definition / logging feature desperately, let me know.

Areas that need review in the future, but that I didn't manage to cover this time, include exports (CONTRIB-4131), notification messages (CONTRIB-4647), and student-supplied data (CONTRIB-4924, CONTRIB-4690, CONTRIB-4199).

If you want to help in testing, please check out the master branch to a Moodle 2.7 (or 2.8dev) installation, and report any issues to the tracker (https://tracker.moodle.org) . Be as specific as you can regarding which version of the code you're using - it's best to mention when you last updated from github (as the code may change frequently at this point). Thanks in advance!

In particular, there are some bugs listed on the tracker that I had trouble reproducing. If anyone can shed a light on whether they occur with the latest version, this would be very helpful.

Best wishes
Henning

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Henning Bostelmann

Re: Testing for Scheduler 2.7

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks to everyone who helped with the testing so far.

Just to keep you updated with time plans: As I won't be available for quick responses until mid-August, I will delay the 2.7 release until then.

If you find further problems with the beta version (the master branch), please add tracker issues as appropriate.