How many number of users will support

How many number of users will support

by srikanth raju -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,
    My system configuration is
  4Gb RAM, 250GB HDD, intel i3, 64bit.
How many number of users it usually supports if we are running only moodle application with single course. I am not using any virtual servers or any other techniques .
please help, i am not able to figure it out. When i am running jmeter with 100 users from other system it is giving successful results but when i increased number of users from 100 to 200 users then it is not responding. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to srikanth raju

Re: How many number of users will support

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Am by no means an expert on jmeter testing, but would think that 100 users at one time might be sufficient for one course depending upon the course content and how 'class is conducted'.  Class to be held face to face with 100 students using whatever device and hitting Moodle at same time (like a HS class with 100 students - large class, BTW  That legal?)?  OR is the class like that of 'typical' higher ed ... students access whenever?

Bottle necks could be present in MySQL, PHP,  or Apache (assuming typical install).  And bottle neck could be in Virtualized environment (if running under a Virt) or even in networking (behind firewall).

Done any tweaks to MySQL (assuming local host - ie, DB server and DB for Moodle on same server as the web server + Moodle code/app)?   If running Linux, for example, one could also acquire and run mysqltuner (or other such script) to check the DB server settings.   How about Apache server itself?  One could do some simple 'apache benchmark' (on linux man ab) test to see if tweaking apache settings wouldn't improve jmeter responses.

When running jmeter test did you check 'top' to see if swap space was being used (that has to do with memory management)?   If so, did you also investigate what was using swap space (top with FP)?

Did you check apache error logs to see if there any clues there?

Probably should have asked first ... what does 'not reponding' look like?   That sounds like a dumb question but not really - browser might not get page rendered as quickly as before and it actually might time out ... but services on the server (apache/mysqld) are still up and running.   PHP settings/tweaks for how much memory a script can consume + how long a script is given to run (30 seconds is default).

My 2 cents! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken