Icons for links and downloadable resources extensions

Icons for links and downloadable resources extensions

by Irina Diana Gall -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

Can anyone guide me on how do I add icons to a series of links, resources and other downloadable documents in my Moodle course? 
      As in the example below.

Thank you very much in advance.

Attachment 2.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irina Diana Gall

Re: Icons for links and downloadable resources extensions

by Christoph Ruda -

Hi Irina,

I'm not entirely sure but when you say 'my Moodle course', do yo mean a course page? The image you've included appears to show part of a course page. The resources shown are file resources with various options turned on, such as 'Show description on course page', 'Show file size' and 'Show file type'. The icon is added by Moodle depending on the file type. There is nothing you have to do to add these icons.

If you are referring to the particular style of the icons this is dependent on your Moodle theme. The icons shown are used in the Clean theme (and probably others).

Hope this helps.

Christoph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Christoph Ruda

by Irina Diana Gall -

Dear Christoph,

Thank you very much for your message.  Yes- I did mean a course page.   
        What I am trying to find out is how do I turn on the 'show file type' option in Moodle 2.6.1.

I am very sorry I did not explain it very well.

I am completely new to moodle so I am not sure about the language.

Thank you very much for your reply again. It did help a lot.

Best,

Diana 

by Christoph Ruda -

Hi Diana,

I remember the feeling when I first tried to find my way around Moodle. One thing that's great about it is the documentation, which has improved a lot over the years. I took the liberty to look up the information you were searching for. Files on the course page are 'File resources' in Moodle speak. The relevant section of the File resource settings page is here:

http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/File_resource_settings#Show_size.type

Kind regards,

Christoph

In reply to Christoph Ruda

by Irina Diana Gall -

Dear Christoph,

Yes- It is a rather odd feeling when you first start working on something complex and, I'd say, sometimes intricate. However, I seem to be finding my way around slowly. Thank you very much for your answer.  

I really appreciate your help. Directing me to the documentation that I needed (or I thought I needed) was enlightening because I actually realised that the reason why I wasn't getting the 'display file type' option is because I am using pages, rather then files (as in the resource type).  I have checked the Page resource settings page documentation and it was not very useful in this regard. 

Is there any chance you may know a way around that?

Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Diana Gall 

by Christoph Ruda -

Hi Diana,

Sorry for the delayed response, I've had a few days away from the Moodle forums.

I've read your posts again but I'm not entirely sure what it is you would like to achieve. I understand that it is difficult to express when one is new to a system and its terminology.

Do you want to add a list of links to documents to a page resource? If that's what you want to do Moodle will not automatically show the corresponding icon or give you the option to display file type and size.

If this isn't what you're after please don't hesitate to post again, I'm sure we'll find the answer. smile

Christoph