Portable Moodle for Linux?

Portable Moodle for Linux?

by Sam Thing -
Number of replies: 9

HI All,

Is there a portable LAMP/Moodle bundle anyone is aware of I can download?

There are loads for Windows, there's Xampp, Poodle and the now defunct Mowes which I'm keeping ticking over but there's nothing obviously comparible for Linux.

Any ideas? I'm only working from home this morning so you better make it snappy ;)

Sam.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Thing

Re: Portable Moodle for Linux?

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Sam, I used to just install AMP on Ubuntu Linux but it's not always desirable to have everying running from startup. I've been using Bitnami on Lubuntu lately and so far, I like it. It's all set up ready to run and nothing to configure. I wrote a quick start guide here: http://blog.matbury.com/2014/03/30/update-want-get-started-moodle/ All free and open source, of course smile They also make it easy to run micro instances of LAMP + Moodle + other apps as a VPS cheaply on AWS. I hope this helps! smile
Average of ratings: Coolest thing ever! (2)
In reply to Matt Bury

by Sam Thing -

Perfect Matt. Thank you  very much.

Now I just have to try and convince my boss to let me work from home more and everything will be right with the world smile

In reply to Sam Thing

by Jez H -

When you said "portable" I thought you wanted to run it from a USB, but reading the last posts I am not sure that is the case?

If you want to run Moodle on localhost (your laptop) then the reason there are no installers for Linux is probably because its much easier to do than it is on Windows, for example using the software center on Ubuntu derived distributions allows you to setup LAMP in a few minutes through the GUI.

In reply to Jez H

by Sam Thing -

Hummmm...yes you're right, now I'm looking at it again this does not look like a portable solution. 

And searching on the software centre doesn't give me any instant gratification for lamp, apache or web server. Looks like I'm gonna have to get my hands dirty and actually learn how do do it from scratch surprise. I was rather hoping to avoid reading the fine maunal.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Jez H -

From Ubuntu software center I think the packages to look for are apache2, mysql-server, there is a php module for apache, phpmyadmin if you want to use that. Unpack Moodle in /var/www/moodle and it should resolve without additional virtual hosts entry.

If you want it on a bootable USB you can do that but you would have to set bios on any machine you wanted to use it on to boot from USB so its not that portable, you could not use it on a PC in a library for example. There is some info on this page:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Probably a few other guides out there and maybe better ways to do it.

I just bought an SSD for an old netbook I had stopped using after it was crippled by Windows 7 updates.

I put Linux Mint on it with LAMP, Moodle, Aptana, runs ok, boots in 40 seconds, would be faster with Lubuntu but I wanted a nicer interface. You can pick something like that up fairly cheaply on Ebay if you want something on the move, screen size is a bit of an issue though.

In reply to Jez H

by Sam Thing -

Thanks Jez.

This is all good stuff but it still doesn't cut it for me. I can't boot a pc at work from a pen drive. I've spent years waiting for (permission) the techs to install the software I need to be productive and I've been (bored) challenged by the (fight) process.  Nearly everything I need to achieve I can achieve on software running off a pen drive or network drive (despite the IT usage policy).

The beauty of portable apps is that your work environment can sit in your pocket. Even better at work where I have a customer facing role and end up on 4 or 5 different PCs in a day but can keep working on the same software while I do it, even when the desktop or login isn't mine.

The portable Moodle I use lets me move it across drives, pcs and networks, fork it trivially, give it to non technical users with zero configuration, experiment, mess it up without consequence and even offer it for download to other people via my blog.

I've just installed the bitnami stack Matt suggested. I only had to read one README file. It's a whole different adventure.

In reply to Sam Thing

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think in an ideal world, OS', data, files, software, etc. should be kept on a personal, convenient, pocket-sized SSD that users can slot into whichever computer they want to use. Most people would freak out if you went into a lab/library/office/someone's study pulled a computer apart an swapped out the HDD/SSD for your own and booted it up.