How old is Moodle?

How old is Moodle?

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Today is my son's first birthday--and I think this is about the 3rd or 4th birthday of Moodle. When did Moodle actually start? And when my son is five years old using Moodle, what do you imagine kids like him will be doing with Moodle? Some ideas...
  • video exchange program with kindergartens in S. America, India, Africa
  • collaborative 'work/research' projects to rebuild our community park and plant trees
  • five language simulation games--explore a new planet with friends from different countries, speaking different languages
  • picture-sharing repository of cars, rockets, ships, trains (especially Thomas)--unfortunately he could care less about fuzzy animals and dolls
Attachment Jhay1.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: How old is Moodle?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
LOL, hilarious picture, Don (and very cute).

Moodle's official birthday (version 1.0 release) is August 20, 2001

I had a couple of years of prototyping and futzing around before that but that's like a gestation period.   smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Jean-Marc Loisil -
I didntn know that...
My first son was born August 20, 2002... but we didn't call him Moodle even if he is already connected big grin
Noé
In reply to Jean-Marc Loisil

by Samuli Karevaara -
Jean-Marc, your son is a real winner smile as I believe that Moodle 1.0 was released August 20, 2002 as Martin said in 2002 smile

In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Holy moly! You're right! For some reason my brain had recorded 2001, so thanks for correcting that! I'm relieved that we've got this far in less time than I thought. big grin

I think I better work out a proper timeline and publish it somewhere.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Martín Langhoff -
Well, it has been "self-hosting" (running moodle.com/moodle.org) since November 2001 if I'm to believe this post http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1 (look at the URL: thread number 1!).

The 1.0 release was Aug 2002 -- would probably be called a 3.0 release by some companies with a less ambitious approach to software wink
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Samuli Karevaara -
There was already some rather optimistic views of the 1.0 coming out at the end of 1999, so it was kind of mature already in 2002 (3.1 even smile )

Truly a remarkable growth in both user base and feature set since the 1.0 release. At our school in 2003 Moodle was thought to be a bit too primitive/immature, but at the end of 2004 the situation was totally different.

I hope Martin will publish some combined figures in 1.5 download numbers, moodle.org hits and such for us number-junkies. I realise that the download numbers and any web statistics are quite inaccurate, but all the same, a dialogue in Calvin and Hobbes went something like this:

Hobbes: "Why do you have to attach a number to everything you do"
Calvin: "When the numbers go up, you know you're having more fun"
In reply to Jean-Marc Loisil

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Jean-Marc, do you think your son would volunteer as a poster-boy for the next Moodle fund-raising campaign?  Irene needs company.  smile

By the way, Joar, I think we started using Moodle on August 21, 2002 at 11:30 pm. Don't tell my wife, but I think Moodle's birthday will remain more vividly in my mind than our anniversary. wink