Collapsed Topics > change colour by topic

Collapsed Topics > change colour by topic

by Ray Stace -
Number of replies: 14

I am working with a user who would like to categorise topics by colour by setting different colours for different topics.

For example, three different colours for say, 15 topics instead of only one colour for all. See image for our 'fudged' solution.

Is this possible in Moodle 2.5  (or likely in future releases of the Collapsed Topics module)? Topics version unknown.

Attachment topics_by_colour.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Stace

Re: Collapsed Topics > change colour by topic

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ray,

In the screen shot you have the section summary coloured.  Is this what you want or the actual toggle itself?

For the actual toggle a few people in the past have asked for the toggle to be coloured on a per section basis.  At the moment its only on a per course basis.  I've been reluctant to implement this as would make the course settings page a nightmare to use given the number of sections that are now possible for a course.  So have no plans to do so.  It might be possible on a per site per course basis to implement in CSS, but that would mask the current colour functionality and teachers would have to be told that they could no longer set the colour.

Collapsed Topics is now at a point where I would not want to do much more with it in terms of adding more features.  I feel that adding to much kills the simple elegance of a thing.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Ray Stace -

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it was the actual section toggle itself that we were looking to colour - the section summary colouring in the screen capture is our fudged attempt at colour coding.

Regards,

Ray

In reply to Ray Stace

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ray,

Thank you for clarifying that.

For the reasons already stated, I would be reluctant to implement a generic settings based solution.  It might be possible on a per installation basis by some clever CSS to override the functionality per section per course.

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by t k -

You could put some css for example to an html block on a course (with the html  editor turned off). Something like:

<style>
#toggle-1 {background-color: red; }
#toggle-2 {background-color: green; }
#toggle-3 {background-color: blue; }
</style>

In reply to t k

by Ray Stace -

Thank you, Toni, that suggestion works very well.

I combined with hover to get the full effect -

#toggle-2:hover {background-color: #bf1f2f; }

Ray

In reply to Ray Stace

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Ray.

Would you please explain more about where to add the CSS, with disabled the editor?

Thanks
In reply to William Lu

by Ray Stace -
William,

In our environment, there is a Header section that sits at the top of the page.
When I open this section to edit it it is called "General".

Summary of General

I put the html in the Summary field of this section.
E.g.
     <style>
     #toggle-2 {background-color: #40e0d0; }
     #toggle-3 {background-color: #40e0d0; }
     #toggle-4 {background-color: #40e0d0; }
     #toggle-5 {background-color: #40e0d0; }
     </style>

The trick seems to be that before you do this you must change your editing environment (turn off the html editor) in your Profile Setting > Edit profile for:

When editing text [choose] Use standard web forms [not] Use html editor

Otherwise the code won't stick. Also, if you later try to edit the section with the html editor chosen it will delete the code.

Ray
In reply to Ray Stace

by William Lu -

Thank you Ray for your detailed instruction.

In my Moodle2.6 > Edit profile > only show:  Text editor, I select Plain text area, not the HTML editor

In my Moodle2.4 > Edit profile > shows: 'Wehn editing text', I select 'Use standard web forms', not the HTML editor

use

I can add your CSS into the 'General Summary' area:

ge
But, after save it, the CSS displayed straight away at the top part of page, and it doese not work like a code to change the colour of toggle's back ground.

I must have done something wrong, need your help again.  

Thank you very much.

William

In reply to William Lu

by t k -

Do you have "Plain text format" chosen in the dropdown menu just below the Summary field? Try changing it to "HTML format".

In reply to t k

by William Lu -

Hi Toni,

I added a new HTML block (named as CSS) > edit my profile to use 'Plain text' text editor > Copy/Paste your CSS into the block. But not work. I assume that I am not using the right method to 'disable the HTML editor'.

Would you please give me more instruction to add CSS into a course page?

I am using Moodle2.6.2

Thanks

In reply to William Lu

by t k -

Hey William,

That should be just the right way to disable the editor. Just make sure you don't see any of the editor buttons etc. when you paste the code and save the block settings. Also you can't hide the html block by closing the eye icon or the code won't work.

Are you sure you a have chosen Collapsed Topics as the course format? You can test this code with the normal topics format to see that the css works.

<style>
#section-1 {background: #ff0000;}
</style>

In reply to t k

by William Lu -

Hi Toni,

Fantastic! I copied all code into a HTML block as below:

block

All code are working now, The colour of 4 Collapsed backgrouds and 1 section background changed!

And the block is auto hidden when 'turn editing off', beautiful !

Thank you very much.

William

In reply to William Lu

by William Lu -

I modified my first test at the 'general summary' section again as below:

It works as expected. The CSS changed the colour of section 2 and toggles; and the CSS code is hidden when 'Turn editing off'

So, the key combination to add CSS into local course page is:

[Edit profile to 'No-Editor'] + [ HTML format when no 'Editor-tools'], as shown above.

In reply to Ray Stace

by William Lu -

We can add hover color as well:

<style>

#toggle-12 {background-color: #808080; }

#toggle-12:hover {background-color: #c0c0c0; }

#toggle-13 {background-color: #808080; }

#toggle-13:hover {background-color: #c0c0c0; }

</style>