Groups within groups

Groups within groups

by Ian Luxton -
Number of replies: 4

Hi. In a school setting I want to place students into a course , science say, break that group into classes eg. 9.1 , 9.2 etc.  then within each class which occur at different times auto create small work groups of 3 say.   I tried to set up the groupings for the classes but when I auto create it uses all students in the course and not just those in the class 9.1.  Also I have a problem of naming as moodle gives numbers or letters only at the one level.  I want something like 9.1a, 9.1b.  And so on

other then doing this manually or importing cvs file is there another method?

appreciate any assistance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Luxton

Re: Groups within groups

by Itamar Tzadok -
If classes are at different times don't they constitute separate course instances of the same subject?

If that's the case then class grouping is in effect course enrollment and then you can use simple groups within a course. You can share subject resources between these courses by means of a meta course. Activities should probably be course specific as they are likely to have different start end times.

With such structure the auto group naming should not be a problem.

hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Ian Luxton -

Thanks Itamar

Your mention on meta courses has sent me on a few hours of researching forums.  So if I have this correct, they should enroll in a class ,eg 9.1, and that class is connected to a meta course , eg science 9, where all class enrollments would accumulate. Then at the individual class level they could auto create groups etc as their class members are the total of the whole course members.

Am I good so far?

Resources could be in science 9 the meta course?  ActivitIes could be in the classes.? How could  Gradebook show the results in the meta course for all the classes?   

To my original problem, I suggested that auto create was not to be used but the teachers of each class do it manually  as this would keep all the grades for all the classes together but I do like the suggestion you gave ....   Just need to get my head around it and think it through as we are just starting with Moodle for most teachers here

Again thanks!

Ian

In reply to Ian Luxton

by dawn alderson -

Hi,

'Resources could be in Science 9, the meta course? Activities could be in the classes? How could GB show the results in the meta course for all classes?

Let us establish the following first:

premise:

-Resources exist for reference purposes

-Activities exist to enable action

So,

it seems documentation is the key purpose here.

Therefore:

Why not consider.....if currently poss or for the future....(hint, hint to those coders out there smile  

Enabling a record of activities and library of resources (file-picker is nice) in Science 9 the Meta Course?

Poss solution= Spreadsheet and database for Science 9 the meta course (which documents outcomes for achievement (skill-set, for example)  and attainment (exam scores etc) for all student engagement with respect to A&A - accumulated across year groups, not just within groups/groupings. 

D

In reply to dawn alderson

by Ian Luxton -

Thanks Dawn

i will set up a test site and see what realities occur!!

Luxo