Is THIS possible: meta links and reporting?

Is THIS possible: meta links and reporting?

by Charlie Oliver Ng -
Number of replies: 4

I have 20 courses which I have brought together using meta links. I now need to generate a completion report for all 20 course. When I generate a report though, it only shows the first course (to which all other courses are linked to).

Did I miss anything when I linked the courses or this is simply not the purpose of meta linking courses, i.e. I need to enroll them to each of the 20 courses?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Charlie Oliver Ng

Re: Is THIS possible: meta links and reporting?

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

The way meta works is that the main course, the meta course, should contain all the activities and resources including the completion statuses for all users. The other courses should be simply providing the enrollment information that syncs to the main course. You don't normally enroll users in the main meta course directly: that's what the children are for. (That's the basic scenario; there are variations.)

So, running the report should do just that: give you completion for that main, meta course. So it is working properly.

So if you enroled everyone in the meta course but not in any of the 20 child courses, then there was no point in making it a meta course because it has its own enrolments directly and not via synching from the child courses.

You are not going to get an activity completion report in one course to know about anything in other courses. You'd have to do a custom report in something like Configurable reports to do that.

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Charlie Oliver Ng -

Thanks for taking the time to explain Randy. Let me see if I understood you correctly.

1. I need to create a (main) course and add the 20 courses as links. At the same time, each of the 20 courses needs to be linked to the main via meta links.
  2. Next, I will need to enroll them to each course except the main course. (I am under the impression that if I linked all the child courses to the parent, I only needed to enroll the users on the parent course and they will automatically see all 20 courses.)
  3. Lastly, I need to create a custom report that will pull completion rates from the individual courses.

Is this correct?

In reply to Charlie Oliver Ng

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

That sounds right except for this part: "(I am under the impression that if I linked all the child courses to the
parent, I only needed to enroll the users on the parent course and they
will automatically see all 20 courses.) "

They wouldn't see all 20 courses, but should see just two: the child course they were enroled in and the main meta course with the content. A person would not be enroled in or need to see the other child courses. 

That is assuming the usual method where all the child courses hold enrolments and sync them to the one main meta course.

Do you have content in all 20 courses? Do any users need to be enroled in any of those beside the main meta course? Are are those just sources of enrolment information?

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Charlie Oliver Ng -

Do you have content in all 20 courses? Yes.

Do any users need to be enroled in any of those beside the main meta course? They need to be enrolled on all 20 courses. Which is why I assumed that if all 20 were pointing to the main course (via meta course links), I would only need to enroll them to the main course.

Are are those just sources of enrolment information? Sorry, I'm not sure I understand this question. Can you please elaborate or rephrase the question?