Assessment submission browse button not showing

Assessment submission browse button not showing

by Laine Phillips -
Number of replies: 7

Hi everyone,

Our Moodle site got hacked last week and taken down. We have used it as an opportunity to upgrade from 1.9.6 to 2.6.2. I am currently starting to rebuild the site from scratch (we are a small college and did not want to pull files over due to the potential for corrupt files to come with it).

In setting up assessment submissions I have an issue where when I change to the view to see the site as a student does I cant see the 'browse/choose file' button by which students attached their file in the assessment submission areas. I'm sure its a basic fix, but can someone tell me what settings need changing to see this? I am setting up submissions as follows:

• Allow submissions from todays date
  • No due date
  • No cut off date

In the old site I had no difficulties, so I guess there is something that has changed.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laine Phillips

Re: Assessment submission browse button not showing

by Damyon Wiese -
Sorry you got hacked - sounds like a drama.

It may be the method in which you "change to the view to see the site as a student does". Using the "switch role to student" feature won't work. You must actually be enrolled in the course and have the submit capability to be able to upload files (just . Try using the "Login as" feature to login as a real student (if that's not what you are doing).

The only other thing it might be is that you need to have "File submissions" enabled under the "Submissions types" settings for the assignment.
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - please see #9 of Roles FAQ in relation to "Swtich role to student"

In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Damyon - would it be worth seeing if it was possible to replace the 'edit submission' button with a helpful message when the page is viewed whilst 'switch role to student' is enabled? ("You cannot submit assignments when using 'Switch role to ...' - see [link to FAQ] for more details")

I've not looked at the code, so I don't know how difficult this would be, but it comes up often enough that it clearly causes confusion (especially if we assume that those posting on the forums are only a small subset of those who have been caught out by this, and that some people have discovered the answer in the FAQ / forums, but only after quite a bit of head-scratching).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Laine Phillips -

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking last night that it must be something like this. In 1.9.6, which we were using, when you switched roles you could still see the submision button, hence my confusion. 

Smiles, Laine

In reply to Laine Phillips

by Matthew Lowe -

When I am developing new courses, I will enrol myself as a student so that when I use 'Switch Role to' student I see exactly what a student will see.

In reply to Matthew Lowe

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If you are enrolled as a student you do not need to switch role as you already have the role. The best solution is to create a test student and then log in as that student to get a true student view.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Matthew Lowe -

I find that when I'm building or developing a course, it can be a pain to have to have to log in as a test student, and then log out and back in as myself.

I know what you about to say, just use two different browsers. The problem with this approach is the still existing differences between the way browsers display webpages.

If I have myself enrolled in a course that I am developing, when I click the 'Switch role to' student, Moodle displays the page exactly as a student will see it in that browser, hiding all editing options, conditional release items and displays buttons that only students will see. When I want to continue editing, I just click the 'Return to my normal role' and I'm back to my normal access.

A workflow that works for me smile