Using polls/choice activity

Using polls/choice activity

by Carolyn O'Brien -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, I'm just wondering if there is any way to allow participants to select more than one choice in a poll.

For example, I am teaching a graduate veterinary CPD course and I'd like to get a feel for which external parasites infestations the participants are diagnosing in their practice - therefore, they may need to select more than one type of bug. I'd then like to display these results to the general group to trigger a discussion.

Any ideas?

Carolyn

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carolyn O'Brien

Re: Using polls/choice activity

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Carolyn,

You can use the built in Feedback or (better) third party Questionnaire module https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_questionnaire to get the same effect as a poll, and they both give you several different options for collecting responses, including qualitative comments.

I hope this helps! smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Carolyn O'Brien

by Itamar Tzadok -

I've just started working on a related functionality in the Dataform. Could be an interesting approach after it is fine tuned.

You can create a designated Dataform activity for multiple polls, each poll in an entry, and you can add polls (entries) as and when required.

In this illustration each poll has a description, 4 buttons and a chart. You can enter any description, including images, video and audio. Participants can click on the buttons to vote. You can add multiple charts with different filters. You can include aggregates in participants' view or only in the view you display for discussion. Same hold for the chart and any other part  of the view for that matter.

It may be able to aggregate multiple related polls (...  I still need to explore the possibilities here ...).

It's not yet plug-n-play functionality of the Dataform, but it's getting there. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by dawn alderson -

Hi Itamar,

nice. You know when you design the question to gauge responses....that would be a text box of sorts-I imagine....could this enable additional input from the respondent too........

so am thinking something along the lines of:

A. Which puppy do you prefer? Please Select an option 1-4 (tricky-mind you wink)

a. Please can you state why? (could there be a line or two open for the repsondent to say why?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, this is all secondary to plug-n-play...because as it stands progress is great anyway! smile

Dawn

In reply to dawn alderson

by Steve Ambro v3.8 -

The problem I have with this is that it limits all discussion to a selection of pre-set options.

I would like to see the students enter their answers and to have the collection of answers presented to the teacher's screen. From there the instructor, depending on set up, can place the responses to the overhead projector for further discussion/development.

This way, all of the student ideas can be by the class, not just those of the instructor.

Might this exist already somewhere else?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Steve Ambro v3.8

by Itamar Tzadok -

Much easier. Same module (Dataform module) and you don't need the chart extension. Simply create a view to display the entries without the user info and another instructor-only with user info. Students will have access to the first but not to the second and you can display the first on the screen for class discussion. smile

by dawn alderson -

I may have something in my eye Steve-may not be seeing this in the same way. Or, there is an omission.

MDL-?

D

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As Matt suggested, the built in Feedback or the better Questionnaire plugin can do that easily. 

In reply to William Lu

by dawn alderson -

Folks,

this is a really interesting thread, but I am getting lost in the detail and purpose here-sorry about that.

So, are we talking about

1. a room full of students with teacher

2. where discussion involves voting on preference of choice in repsonse to a given question

3. where the students can write a short sentence that presents their reason for their choices

4. and all this interaction is collated on the LMS and displayed on whiteboard

If yes-then this can be done with:

a. dataform (polls-plugin)

and

b. feedback or questionnaire plugin

AND both can be plugged in at the same time and run to accomodate the above?

Is that what we are on about? Otherwise, my understanding is that all the above are separate activities for face to face teaching and learning....and I am wondering why not just do it all vocally/verbally...as I said....am a bit lost sorry.

cheers,

Dawn