Due dates in Moodle calendar

Due dates in Moodle calendar

by Ulrike Albers -
Number of replies: 8

Hello,

I just saw some post where sombody mentions that due dates (assignments) automatically appear in the calendar. Is that true ? There is no documentation about it.

In our case (Moodle 2.4), this does not work but

- scientist don't want to put a cron job on the server so I just lauch it manually once a day

- maybe I have to configure something somewhere ?

Thank you for any help with this...would be a reallly good tool !

Ulrike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: Due dates in Moodle calendar

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Ulrike,

It just stroke me as odd the "don't want to put a cron job on the server" part, and I just wanted you to know that the cron job doesn't have to be at the server, it can be located somewhere else: Using third party cron service, Cron settings.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Ulrike Albers -

Thank you Guillermo for that information.

by Ulrike Albers -

Hello,

I just see that this information appears here. So that's the answer to my first question (so assignment dates ARE automatically added to the calendar - really practical!) - as to my second one, well it cannot be the Moodle version, so ot's either a bug of our Moodle site, or the cron problem.

Ulrike

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Ulrike,

Oh, things change now, I thought that they didn't want to enable the cron system in the server; but now you mention that they cannot, or haven't been able to, do it. Maybe you would like to provide more information about the environment (OS, etc.) and about the steps that they have followed to enable cron.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Miguel Santos -

The assignment due dates should show in the mdl_event table.  Do you have database access to confirm if the data is making it to that table.  I am assuming your are using the new assignment module that was introduced in moodle 2.3, mod/assign, as opposed to the legacy mod/assignment.

Guillermo is correct that if you provide the version of moodle and environment information it will be much easier to assist you.

Thanks!

In reply to Miguel Santos

by Ulrike Albers -

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies ! We use Moodle 2.4, and I just checked and see that they  disabled assignment 2.2 so we work with the new one.

As to the cron, you wouldn't believe it, but it's just about burocracy (they tell me they have to check that out, and are checking it out since about one year and a half - and I don't have a server access). But I don't give up, they'll put it one day.... I launch it once or twice a day manually.

But actually, I saw that on our test platform (that one is 2.5), the calendar does work (the date of an assignment I created was automatically added) - and I suppose that there's no cron for that platform either...

One other question : besides assignment due dates, are there any other dates that should appear on the calendar?

Thank you very much for your help !

Ulrike

PS: as to the environment, I'm going to ask, and come back when I get an answer

by Ulrike Albers -
Hello,

One of the scientists finally put a script to launch the cron... miracle it works now! Even assignments created before appear on tha calendar - this is really great.

Thank you for your help !

Ulrike

by Guillermo Madero -

It was just a matter of will from their part Yes

Glad to see it's working now smile