Elegance -Subject Name My Course List

Elegance -Subject Name My Course List

by Simon Bryan -
Number of replies: 6

The Subject Name that is showing in the course list for users is the main Subject Name, can this be changed to the Short Name?

In our system for instance Year 7 Geography has a Subject Name of "Geography' as do years 8,9,10 and the Short Names are 07GE, 08GE, 09GE 10GE.

While this is not a major drama for students, for a teacher such as the Geography Teacher they are confronted with a list of subjects all called 'Geography' and they have to guess which one they need.

These subjects are being synced from our Admin system, and I could possibly change the names there, but that has implications for a whole raft of screen displays and printouts.

Cheers

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Bryan

Re: Elegance -Subject Name My Course List

by Julian Ridden -

Sadly Simon I am going to have to say no on that one. I know you are hitting a limitation with your integration, but Moodle (and many) would consider it bad practice to have 7 courses all with the same name.

I would suggest trying to get the integration updated.

The theme is here to format Moodle's screens. Not change them.

Now there may be a renderer we could override to achieve this, but this would be a fair chunk of work that would help you and very few others. It would not be a simple addition to a theme either way.

Julian

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This might be possible as there is a 'core_course_renderer' which has methods to create that output.  As Julian says 'a fair chunk of work'.  Are all of your teachers assigned the capability of 'course creator'?  I'd set my M1.9 to be that way so that teachers could be distinguished from other users and also create courses.

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Simon Bryan -

Thanks Julian, so more than just swapping a field in the display then?

In reply to Simon Bryan

by Floyd Saner -

Simon,

In Moodle's SITE ADMINISTRATION ... APPEARANCE ... COURSES, there is a setting "Display extended course names".  By default that is off.  If you select that, Moodle should show the full name and short name in course lists.

Setting description:  "When showing lists of courses, or when referring to courses on administration screens, show the course short name as well as the full name. In fact, when you turn this setting on, the display uses the 'courseextendednamedisplay' language string, so you can changewhat is displayed using Language customization."

Floyd

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Floyd Saner

by Simon Bryan -

Thanks Floyd, thought I had checked every option everywhere many times!!

That at least fixes the  problem for the bottom half of the MyCourses screen where the course are listed but sadly does not effect what is displayed on the animated book icons at the top.

Maybe I can just turn them off somewhere.

Cheers

Simon