Promonitor and Moodle

Re: Promonitor and Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

No, no experience at all, but I would suggest that the key is not going to be Moodle, it is going to be Promonitor. I know this does not really answer your question, but I doubt there will be too many, if any, Moodle users sufficiently familiar with Promonitor to be able to provide a more specific answer. Promonitor is a proprietal product from Compass Computing Solutions, a Microsoft Partner and looks like a fairly recent development based on the Company's previous developments. 

The Moodle side is easy to work out, that is because it is Open Source. you need to decide what data you want to extract from the Moodle database, which you can do easily with an understanding of PHP and SQL. You really do not need to be using the Moodle interface for that, create your own, as long as the interface you do use is able to log into the Moodle database, you won't have any problem. You could even use PHPMyAdmin if you are using MySQL or your usual database admin tool if you are using something else. 

Once the data you require is extracted, it has to be converted to a format that the Promonitor database requires. That is going to be the hard part. It looks like Promonitor is not Open Source so you're going to have to be careful you do not infringe copyright or break their EULA unintentionally. Their database is unlikely to be easily accessible, but it will likely run on SQL so you will be halfway there. The proprietal nature of Promonitor may mean that the developers will likely be more than willing to create the necessary SQL to do this part, at a cost. 

Good luck. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

Our MIS team are feeding certain data (basic details, initial assessment results etc) about students into ProMonitor from our MIS system, but they had an existing relationship with Compass (we've had ProAchieve for years) so I suspect they had a lot of co-operation for less than the normal cost).

I think eventually we'll be asked 'can moodle show promonitor data' (or at least, say, check if there are new alerts) - but we then have to standardise SSO to redirect users without them having to login again.

That may push us to using AD for everything, and the only issue with that is IT's time (or lack thereof) to help with development (Shibboleth we run ourselves, with the odd bit of external help when things go really weird).

In reply to Dave Perry

by Ben Hutchens -

Hi,

Has anyone managed to configure single sign-on between Moodle and promonitor?

Our users authenticate via ldap to Moodle but we want them to SSO into ProMonitor via Moodle.

Thanks

Ben

Moodle 2.6.3 (centOS box)

In reply to Ben Hutchens

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

ProMonitor runs under IIS, so the easiest way is probably to make both SSO via AD. That for you would involve putting your Linux server into the AD domain, and configuring an Apache plugin (see https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/NTLM_authentication )

Though it wouldn't surprise me if Compass Computer Consultants (the company behind ProMonitor) wrote a proper moodle integration eventually, or provided an SSO solution that didn't require system level integration, just app integration