How it works
This simple example will give you an idea of how our web services infrastructure works.
- The client sends a username and password to the web service login script.
- The script returns a token for that user account.
- The client calls a particular web service function on a protocol server including the token .
- The protocol server uses the token to check that the user can call the function.
- The protocol server call the matching external function, located in a externallib.php file inside the relevant module.
- The external function checks that the current user has_capability to do this operation.
- The external function calls the matching Moodle core function (in lib.php usually).
- The core function can return a result to the external function.
- The external function will return a result to the protocol server.
- The protocol server returns the result to the client.