scorm package update time

scorm package update time

by Tyler Musser -
Number of replies: 6

I have 8 scorm  1.2 packages that are approximately 100MB that I am importing into a moodle 2.6 LAMP installation.  Whenever I am updating the scorm file for each course the update process is taking 7 minutes for each course scorm update. I have the files stored locally on the server in a respository and I have even tried configuring the scorm package to create a shortcut to the exisiting package on the server instead of copying it. The update time appears to be consistently slow. Is there something I can look at that would speed this process up or is it possible that it is a configuration in the scorm package itself that takes a really long time to configure and setup?

Tyler

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tyler Musser

Re: scorm package update time

by Andre Paz Leal -

Tyler I have use the following workflow:

• Create the repository as you;

• Place the scorm package not zipped inside that folder;

• Load the manifest as an alias from there;

Every time I need to update the content I just change drag and drop the files thru ftp and that´s it, my content is always updated without any headache.

I´ve start doing that because importing the package as a ZIP or create an alias of the ZIP package it was too taking a long long time.

Make me as useful, glad I could help you.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andre Paz Leal

by Tyler Musser -

What permissions should I give the files after extracting them? Extracting them makes for a lot more files but if it speed up the course updates and management it sounds like it would be a really good work around.

In reply to Tyler Musser

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have heard that there are some performance issues when updating scorm packages - I have a feeling it might occur when there is a large amount of tracking data for previous submissions - I haven't had a chance to track the issue down and we don't have a tracker issue open for it at the moment.

If you could create a tracker issue and some test data that results in a long update that would be helpful.

thanks,

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dan, Not sure if this might be related, but we found that with new SCORM course creations that it does take more time than expected, up to 2 minutes for a new course.  For us, it caused a timeout on a server that was configured with php_fpm, resulting in a white screen or a server too busy message.  However, the process was still running in the background and would complete. 

After uninstalling php_fpm on the server the timeout went away and SCORM courses would complete the install without a white screen or error message.  In place of php_fpm we have installed APC and have not seen the same problem, so attributed it to a compatibility problem between Moodle and php_fpm.  Thought I would share in case it helps.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Tyler Musser -

Hi Dan,

I would be happy to assist in any way possible. My only concern is that the scorm package I am using is from a third party so I just need to be careful with the content. Also, the server I am updating these packages on have had very little previous submission information. I am updating the scorm package on a server that has not been moved into production  yet.