Accessibility in Lesson

Accessibility in Lesson

by Brian Rigwald -
Number of replies: 5

I've noticed that when I use the Accessibility Block to increase the font size, it doesn't increase the font in the lesson content itself.  It is simply increasing the font in the header of the site.

The color changes do work, however.  Any Ideas?  We are I am using the Serenity Theme on Moodle 2.5. (I believe it is 2.5 and not 2.6.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Rigwald

Re: Accessibility in Lesson

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If all else fails, just use Ctrl + to zoom bigger and Ctrl - zoom smaller. Ctrl and roll the middle mouse button will also zoom everything bigger or smaller. Works in all the browsers I have access to.

HTH

In reply to AL Rachels

by Brian Rigwald -

Simply changing the zoom is not the answer, because it will push text out of the frame without giving a horizontal scroll bar.  The only way I have gotten the font to increase with the Accessibility Block is by starting the AT Bar and then using that to increase font size.  

We have small Chromebooks for use, and for some students, it is beneficial to increase the font size.  If I were to set the font size larger when I make the lesson, then the scroll bare is there.  The benefit of using the Accessibility Block to increase the font size is that the font is increased, but it wordwraps so that there is no need for the scroll bar.   Having to use a scroll bar is a nuisance on the Chromebooks, because each lesson page is taller than the screen, so a student would have to read a line, scroll down to the bottom, move the bar over, scroll up to finish the line, then scroll down to move the bar back so they can continue on to line 2.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry, I seemed to have skipped right over the part where you said this was for Chromebooks, and I switched to Firefox so many years ago that I forget to mention that. I don't know if you can install or even use Firefox on a Chromebook, but in the current version of FF, if you go View > Zoom >Zoom Text only, you can Ctrl+ and the text gets BIG without any scroll bars and the rest of Moodle stays it's normal size.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Al,

Although you are correct in that CTRL+ and - will zoom in and out, Brian is absolutely right on the money when he says that it's not the same thing. It is kind of counter productive to ask people with accessibility issues to have to pan around your web page.

WCAG 2.0 compliance, one of Moodle HQ's stated priorities, includes a success criterion 1.4.4 [Resize text] which clearly states:

Except for captions and images of text, text can be resized without assistive technology up to 200 percent without loss of content or functionality.

A simple way to ensure all font sizes used in a page are scaleable is specify font-size measurements in em, points or pixels.

The quickest and easiest way to test for this is to bring up your web page in Internet Explorer and click View > Text Size and then Largest or Smallest. Wherever you don't see the font change size, its font-size style has very likely been specified in pixels (px).

Best regards,

Michael Milette

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry Brian, I know my previous post doesn't help you with your situation though it could be used to move the Moodle community towards change.

Unfortunately for you, I don't use the Moodle Accessibility block. I am however an avid fan of using scalable font-size measurements instead.

Best regards,

Michael