Video Feedback

Video Feedback

by Robert Lavala -
Number of replies: 11

Hi, 

I was/am unsure of the proper area to ask my question so I'll start here. I run a martial art studio that offers students video feedback. I need to know the best way give each individual student access to their own, private, videos.

Any help is appreciated.

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Lavala

Re: Video Feedback

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Robert,

Could you please clarify one thing: Do you mean that learners submit their own videos to receive feedback, or that you provide them with videos as feedback, or both?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Robert Lavala -

They submit a video via Dropbox (completely aside from Moodle), I go through it with another program, create a .flv file, and want to embed it so that only they have access to it in their account.

The limitations on uploads by BlueHost makes it where even I have to use repositories via FTP to get my videos online. So, Dropbox is the next best thing. But I would really love to have them able (the student) to simply view the annotated videos within their user area.

Thanks for the help...

by Matt Bury -

If you're using a shared hosting service, I recommend avoiding using Moodle's file management system as far as possible. It copies used files into /moodledata/ and serves them via a proxy script that can quickly fill up your server's memory limits and effectively block the site for other users. You may also have your site shut down by your hosting provider without notice (check their terms of service).

Also, most hosting providers don't like video sharing because it can quickly fill up terrabytes of storage space. Shared hosting providers usually set "unlimited" at 10-20GB.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that a couple of options would be:

#1 - Use a bucket server, which is kind of what you're doing with DropBox. There are others that may be more suitable for video storage and playback, maybe Amazon Web Services' S3? I think Moodle has some integration with that. Check out the repositories section in your Moodle and in Moodle.org plugins.

#2 - Use a media server service: there are some good integrations with Moodle, although this can get expensive.

#3 - You can make Youtube.com videos "unlisted", i.e. they don't show up in search results or on regular Youtube.com pages. Users need to know the exact URL to view them. Youtube.com has some fairly robust and easy to use upload tools too.

#3.5 - Vimeo.com (no ads on your videos, yay!) is Youtube.com's more creative and serious competitor and they offer paid for hosting options with privacy controls.

Can anyone think of any more?

In reply to Matt Bury

by Robert Lavala -

So what I gather is that on a shared solution (which is all I can afford) you really shouldn't host the videos.

The main problem I'm having with using Youtube is no matter what I do all I get is an invalid JSON error (Pictured here). I've reviewed the Moodle Docs and everything (that I can see and understand) is set right but I cannot get it to work.

Before moving to Moodle I used Youtube all the time as the preferred choice. I would like to continue that practice but leaned the other way with Moodle Media and using my web host to store the videos. If I could get the Youtube repository to actually work that would be wonderful!

by Matt Bury -

Ah, yes, the good ol' "Invalid JSON string" error. It's one of the more annoying features. Moodle's file management system is pretty buggy and it does trip up from time to time.

If you're not on one of the latest versions of Moodle, i.e. 2.5 or 2.6, upgrading might fix it. Here's the official guide to upgrading: http://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Upgrading

In reply to Matt Bury

by Robert Lavala -

I use 2.6 from the start.

by Matt Bury -

It might be an environmental issue, i.e. something on your servers' configuration that's stopping it from working.

The first thing is to put your site into maintenance mode: Site administration > Server > Maintenance mode (If debugging messages display sensitive information, only you will be able to see it)

Then turn on debugging: Site adminsitration > Development > Debugging : DEVELOPER

Try inserting a Youtube.com video and see what error messages you get. Do a web search to see if you can find a quick solution, i.e. someone's had the same problem, fixed it, and shared how they did it.

Ask for help on the repositories forum here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=1807

Good luck!

by Richard Price -

See if the instructions here help you.
I had this JSON error only on the youtube repository and with a few changes to the network and settings in moodle, it works now.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Price

by Matt Bury -

Thanks Richard! smile

Ironically, I got a JSON parse error the first time I tried to post this message.