Moodle 1.9 to 2.5 Backup questions

Moodle 1.9 to 2.5 Backup questions

by Christina Dempsey -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

I have some specific questions regarding converting 1.9 backups to 2.5. I've been getting some mixed answers from reading the boards and from trying to meddle around with it myself so I figure it's best to just ask the questions flat out and get this all figured out.

So my institution is upgrading from Moodle 1.9 to Moodle 2.5. In order to convert these backups over to 2.5, I did as suggested and had my system admin install the 2.1 assignment module. I tried to restore a 1.9 backup and was able to click on the old assignments and use the assignment converter to bring them up to 2.5. Here are some of my specific questions:

1. Do all activities need to be converted? Or just those falling under the Assignments label on the Add an Activity drop down menu in Moodle 1.9?

2. I have system admin privileges. When I go into a course that has assignments that need to be converted, I click on one and it asks me to view the Assignment Upgrade Tool. I had a teacher try this as well on the same assignment, and for him it was already converted. He did not have to use the upgrade tool after doing the initial restore. When you have teacher access, does the upgrade tool work automatically? Is there any reason why I as the system admin would still have to upgrade the assignments and he wouldn't? Are teachers supposed to have access to this tool on their end?

3. I notice you cannot transfer users or user data when restoring a 1.9 backup. Is this true for backups and restores made in 2.5 as well or just a because of the version difference?

4. When we are instructing teachers to back up their items to bring over to the new system, our limit is a 3gb file. What should they consider deleting from their courses that would make the biggest impact if the files are larger then that to make sure they do not have any problems restoring their backup to 2.5?

I think these are the main questions for now. If I think of anymore I will add to the thread. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

-Christina

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christina Dempsey

Re: Moodle 1.9 to 2.5 Backup questions

by Christina Dempsey -

Any input on these questions?

Any help is much appreciated.

-Christina

In reply to Christina Dempsey

Re: Moodle 1.9 to 2.5 Backup questions

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Too many questions for one posting ... but I'll give a partial stab at response.

1. Do all activities need to be converted? - depends upon changes to activities.  In the case of assignments yes, they should be converted to the new.

2. If you still have both assignment versions available in the 2.6 and for some reason a restore of a course doesn't convert, then yes, use convert tool.   Once done with restoring courses and converting assignments hide the old in System Admin.   Teachers won't be able to use the old anymore.   If you restore old courses, however, one might have to turn that on until the old course is restored. (not sure about that one).

3. user data won't come across.

4. reduction of courses ... there is an easy button in the 1.9 course ... re-set.   That removes users from the course, their submitted assignments, .... all the student work.   Basically sets the couse to be used by a new set of students.   That might reduce the size of the backup depending.  One would have to run a backup of the just re-set course to see if the backup file (the .zip) is smaller.   Also remove any backups they might have stored - 1.9.x and less had an issue with including backups inside of backups.    Note: they should download those backups before removing for archiving purposes.

Also, much depends upon how good teachers are with file management.  Ask them to remove any file/files NOT linked in their courses.

Make sure you keep a backup/archive of all the course ID folders of the 1.9 data folder.   Missing files could be made available to teachers via file system repo IF their old course ID folder is known and that ID folder is moved into a file system repo setup just for a single teachers new 2.x course.

'spirit of sharing', Ken