Installing Lams on windows PC with existing msql server

Installing Lams on windows PC with existing msql server

by Simon Reynolds -
Number of replies: 19
OK, so LAMS is exciting and the integration with Moodle is even more exciting. I am happy running Moodle on my laptop to write courses prior to uploading to my remote site. I am using Xampp which has caused me no problems.

I tried to install LAMS because I am impatient and can't wait to get started smile

I get most of the way through until I get to the part where I have to insert my MySql root password. Of course, I don't have a root password so I leave it blank. LAMS insists on this though and I get no further. In the end, I set a password and manage to get into phpMyadmin but when I put this into the root password box in LAMS it still complains and that is as far as I get.

I then try to install LAMS after removing XAMPP. Great, no problem. I get asked to supply a password and off it goes. I can now use LAMS. I reinstall XAMPP and not surprisingly, I am unable to use Moodle or any of my other php/Mysql programs.

I know this is probably not the place for this topic but it is slowly driving me mad. I have searched on Google and it appears I am tne only one with this problem.

Is there an answer?

Please, someone, I'm a Novice, Get Me Out Of Here smile
Thanks for listening

Simon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Reynolds

Re: Installing Lams on windows PC with existing msql server

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Simon,

This discussion may help clarify the position.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24187&parent=117988

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Simon Reynolds -
Thanks Ray,

Not really much help though. I will keep trying different configurations/sequences until I drop!

Simon

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Simon,

Doesn't the post from Martin indicate that intalling LAMS and XAMPP on the same computer can't be done?
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Tim Allen -
Hmm, that's not how I read Martin's post ...there could be an specific issue with XAMPP itself, but the post by Martin you linked to doesn't not refer to XAMPP at all.

On the LAMS Moodle integration site, I found this:

Would I be able to run LAMS and Moodle on the same server?

It depends on your system setup. You could run LAMS and Moodle in the same server using different ports. However, if you are using Apache, it is feasible to run both LAMS and Moodle on the same port. Further information will be provided when the integration is released.

(from http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/moodle/)
In the above quotation, I am sure that "server" refers to "computer" rather than "server software pacakge". wink

XAMPP is a PHP server package, and LAMS is a software which runs on java, not PHP. Moodle can be run under XAMPP as it runs under PHP. As far as I know, however, it is possible to run a java server and a PHP server on the same computer...

In order to use the Moodle LAMS integration then you would need both packages and their associated server technologies (PHP and Java) installed on the same computer (or at the very least, this must be a legitimate option - I don't have experience with clusters, RAID and the like).

However in Ernie's post (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=24187#117979) he says that one can make a sequence in LAMS on another computer that doesn't have Moodle installed, then import it into LAMS on the LAMS-Moodle computer, and then bring it into Moodle. However, one couldn't import it directly into Moodle.

The alternative is to make it from within Moodle using the integration module on a Moodle-LAMS computer.

by W Page -

Hi Simon!

Why not try to contact LAMS directlly about the problem?
http://www.lamsinternational.com/contact/

I found it interesting that there were no support forums, support mailing lists or even support link on the separate LAMS sites.  They do have some documentation on software installation and use available however.
http://www.lamsinternational.com/resource/
http://www.lamsfoundation.org/downloads/

HTH

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Simon Reynolds -
Yes, I have tried the two sites you mention. While LAMS looks and feels great, support seems sadly lacking. I emaild them about setting a LAMS account on their server a week ago and so far, no reply!

Thanks for your help anyway

Simon 
In reply to W Page

by Tim Allen -
There seems to be a forum community here: http://www.lamscommunity.org/

However, I can not work out how to register there!

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Darren Smith -
Very strange. If you hit the recover e-mail and type in an email address you get the guy's email address so I have emailed him big grin

I did follow a link and found a community forum but this is all new to me so I don't know how closely these projects are related but Moodle does get a mention!
In reply to Tim Allen

by Simon Reynolds -
Hi Tim

I remember something about this when I tried to find out more a couple of weeks ago.
The LAMS community is not live yet.

I got the following when I tried to get an 'organisation key':

Hi there,

If you are looking for your organisation key, you need to give us a few days as we are finalising the last bits of the LAMS Community.

Are you in the process of installing LAMS and the installer is asking you for a Organisation Key? You can bypass this option by unchecking the "This will be an Online Server" option. When this option is uncheck, the installer will not require you to provide an organisation key.

Apparently, when you get a key, you are also registered in the community.

Maybe in a few days.... weeks...

Simon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ernie Ghiglione -
Hi Simon,

> The LAMS community is not live yet.

The LAMS Community is now up and running:

http://lamscommunity.org

Regarding the organization key, you won't need it any more. Have a look at this posting for further details.

Thanks,

Ernie

In reply to Tim Allen

by Ernie Ghiglione -
Hi Tim, Darren,

As you well have discovered, the LAMS Community is still not up and running. We are currently finalizing the last bits to open it to all LAMS users and enthusiasts.

Now, any LAMS server (the actual application) can be integrated to the LAMS Community. This allows all LAMS servers around the world to make use of the services provided by the LAMS Community, such as forums, news and soon after sharing, comment and rate LAMS sequences with others.

How does it work?

By setting up some parameters in you LAMS server, you'll be able to be "integrated" with the LAMS Community (LC). That means that once your LAMS teachers and administrators log in, they will be able to sign up for the LC. If they do so, the LC automatically will add them to the teacher and admin communities respectively, and next time they login into LAMS, they will be automatically access the LC as well.

Ok, this is all cool, but you might be wondering when it is going to be finally up. Well, very soon wink. Getting it all sorted out took a bit longer than expected, but we are almost there. We believe that in about a week, we'll be able to allow some users to test it and then within two or three weeks, formally open it to every LAMS users.

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Ernie

In reply to W Page

by C N -

Hi all,

The support address for LAMS is support@lamsinternational.com
Generally most support requests are answered within the next business day.

regards
Chad

by W Page -

Hello Again Simon!

I re-read the thread that Ray referred to above.  It looks like two folks on that thread Dai Griffiths & Wolfgang Greller -know a lot about LAMS.  Maybe they can help you out with the problem if yuo contact them directly.

Also, in reference to what Ray indicated about installing LAMS and XAMPP on the same computer, I think it was LAMS and Moodle that cannot be installed on the same server.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Tim Allen -
Also, in reference to what Ray indicated about installing LAMS and XAMPP on the same computer, I think it was LAMS and Moodle that cannot be installed on the same server.

This depends on whether you mean "server" to mean "computer" or "software server package".  wink

XAMPP is a server package based on PHP. Moodle runs under PHP so it can run under XAMPP.

LAMS runs under Java, not PHP, so it will not run under the XAMPP server software package. You need to have the Java server component, which is however bundled with LAMS in its download package.

However, I am sure there is no problem about installing both LAMS and Moodle on the same computer, indeed that seems to be the most common-sense way for beginners using simple server configurations. The Moodle LAMS integration project assumes this I think.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Ray Lawrence -
I'd formed the view that the issue was at the mySQL level, with LAMS unable to share this.

I've tried to install both on a computer and found the same issues as Simon expressed earlier in this discussion.

I look forward to learning that I was wrong, I'm eager to give this a try too.

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Simon Reynolds -
Thank everyone, I thought it was me missreading the posts. I have a couple of different Apache/Mysql/php packages to try incase it is a XAMPP issue.
I will leave it until tomorrow just in case someone comes up with an answer later on.
I would really like to hit the ground running when the LAMS/Moodle integration appears smile

Cheers

Simon 
In reply to Tim Allen

by C N -

Hi all,

The only constraints LAMS poses during installation are:

(a) An existing MySQL server with a password or installing the bundled MySQL
(b) J2SDK 1.4.2
(c) Open ports for Jboss-Tomcat and LAMS chat port

Although by default LAMS is configured to run on port 8080/9800, this may be changed in the advanced option. (There may be other port clases with tomcat servers 1099).

There shouldnt be any reason you cannot run LAMS and moodle on the same machine as long as different ports are used.

regards
Chad

P.S. LAMS Support can be reached at support@lamsinternational.com

by Ernie Ghiglione -
Hi Simon,

There are many ways of setting up LAMS and many many others for Moodle, so the integration might depend on your setup.

As Tim pointed out, on the small FAQ of the LAMS-Moodle Integration, we mention that it is possible to run both LAMS and Moodle in the same instance of Apache using mod_jk (for LAMS), for instance.

However, the integration work is now being carried out now and we are looking at different setup scenarios that *will* be presented once we release the integration. It's not that we don't want to do it now, but we haven't gotten that far yet wink.

Nevertheless, if there are people in the Moodle community that have managed to get LAMS running in the same box using xampp, ISS, etc; sharing it here will also help us too.

Thanks,

Ernie