Editing a Course

Editing a Course

by Bruce Bremer -
Number of replies: 13

I am the moodle admin for my company and I could use some suggestions here. Once I create a resource within a course's topic block, the system will not allow me to edit.  This problem appeared suddenly last week.  I was able to work around it for a while by logging in as a teacher.  This will not work now. The problem is not fazed by performing a cron job.

I posted a demonstration of the problem in a YouTube video.  Please take a look at it here:

For a better view, click on the "Watch it on YouTube" button.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruce Bremer

Re: Editing a Course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. (I do like it when people make screencasts of their problems as it makes it so much easier to see!) I'm not an expert on the likes of javascript/ajax but I think it might be related - first of all -try turning the activity chooser off in course administration and see if you can edit it then (and post back)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bruce Bremer -

Mary,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Activity Chooser was off in the course.  I turned it on and tried again... no joy.  I turned it off... no change.  Also, all courses are affected this way.  Changing roles from admin to teacher has no effect.  

The following message flashes for about half a second in the lower-left corner of my browser each time I attempt to click on "Edit":

http://our-intranet-web-address/moodle/course/mod.php?sseskey=DgwikaG4Xw&sp=0&update=12 

Clicking on different buttons only changes the "update=" number.  I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem.  If the session key is messed up I would think the whole system would crash.

Any ideas?

In reply to Bruce Bremer

Edit icon not working in 2.6

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you go to Site administration /Appearance /AJAX and Javascript and disable ajax and see if that makes a difference? Cannot help with your pop up URL I am sorry but I am chaning the subject title to see if it attracts other people. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Edit icon not working in 2.6

by Mary Cooch -

Bruce - I wonder if your issue is this one MDL-43410 I see in your video you have a block docked. Try undocking it and then see if the edit link works.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Edit icon not working in 2.6

by Bruce Bremer -

Mary,

No effect, except the add a resource and add an activity drop-down boxes appeared.  I'm going to turn Ajax back on to maintain a consistent baseline on the problem.

Bruce

P.S. Thanks for changing the name to attract more followers.

In reply to Bruce Bremer

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you tried changing themes?   Try with formal white and see if you still have the issue?

In reply to Bruce Bremer

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bruce,

A few observations:

• What version of M2.6 please?
  • What changed to the system last week in terms of code / plug-in changes?
  • Did you change the course settings from 'show sections on one page' to 'show one section per page mode'?
  • JavaScript is still working as double cross arrows for moving activities / resources are still working.
  • Are there any errors in the 'console' tab of the browser development tools (F12) when loading the page in editing mode?
  • Is the issue limited to one type of browser?
  • Does the problem happen if you switch back to the 'Clean' theme?
  • Does the problem happen in all courses?

Cheers,

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Bruce Bremer -

Gareth,

- Moodle 2.6+ (Build: 20131213)

- No changes in coding or plug-ins

- I have left the sections setting alone

- Yes, there are errors in the console tab:

HTML1512: Unmatched end tag.
view.php, line 65 character 6039
view.php, line 65 character 6102
view.php, line 65 character 6165
view.php, line 67 character 482
view.php, line 74 character 249
moodle-core-dock-loader: Dock loader initialising
moodle-core-dock-loader: Dock loader watching block with instance id: 5
moodle-core-dock-loader: Dock loader watching block with instance id: 4
moodle-core-dock-loader: Dock loader watching block with instance id: 15
moodle-core-dock-loader: Dock loader watching block with instance id: 16
moodle-core-dock-loader: Dock loader watching block with instance id: 17
moodle-core-dock-loader: Dock loader watching block with instance id: 18
moodle-core-dock-loader: Loading dock module
SEC7115: :visited and :link styles can only differ by color. Some styles were not applied to :visited.
view.php
moodle-core-dock: Initialised block with instance id:5
moodle-core-dock: Dock initialising
moodle-core-dock: Moving block to the dock:5
moodle-core-dock: Initialised dockeditem for block with title "Administration (5)
moodle-core-dock: Adding block Administration (5) to the dock.
moodle-core-dock: Enabling the dock tab sizer.
moodle-core-dock: Initialised block with instance id:4
moodle-core-dock: Initialised block with instance id:15
moodle-core-dock: Initialised block with instance id:16
moodle-core-dock: Initialised block with instance id:17
moodle-core-dock: Initialised block with instance id:18
moodle-block_navigation: Initialising navigation block tree
moodle-block_navigation: Initialising navigation block tree
warn: The moodle-core-notification parent module has been deprecated. Please use one of its subclasses instead.
moodle-core-actionmenu: Initialising the action menu manager
moodle-core-actionmenu: Displaying an action menu
moodle-core-actionmenu: Hiding an action menu
moodle-core-actionmenu: Displaying an action menu
moodle-core-actionmenu: Hiding an action menu

- Issue not limited to IE... affects Google Chrome as well.

- Haven't tried the clean theme... thought I ought the chew on the error codes first.

- Problem happens in all courses.

In reply to Bruce Bremer

by Bruce Bremer -

I changed the theme to Clean and the edit button worked properly.  I did what I needed to do and changed the theme back to Sky High.  Problem returned.  I will contact the developer of the theme to report the bug.

Thanks to all for your help.!

In reply to Bruce Bremer

Re: Edit link/action menu not working

by Mary Cooch -

So (further to my previous post) are you saying that you have this problem with the Sky High theme even with blocks NOT docked?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Bruce Bremer -

Mary,

You're a rock star!  That fixed it.

THANKS!

Bruce

In reply to Bruce Bremer

by Mary Cooch -

In that case, if you saw my previous post, are you able to upgrade to Moodle 2.6.1 and perhaps the bug will be fixed for you? MDL-43410

In reply to Bruce Bremer

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bruce,

I'm glad that Mary has fixed it for you smile.

The thing with the end tags not being there is a coding fault.  Sky High is a core theme so will be an issue there.

Gareth