Are my cache stores and instances configured correctly?

Are my cache stores and instances configured correctly?

by Paul Lindgreen -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I ran Caching-Testing Performance and received what looks like poor results for the 'request cache' section , see screenshot below. Is this a shortcoming of the 'request cache' testing or have I not configured my caching correctly, I included configuration settings in the screenshot.

I am currently researching whether new caches such as mongodb should be used. Would this test report confirm if it is a more effective caching mechanism than my default moodle cache settings?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Lindgreen

Re: Are my cache stores and instances configured correctly?

by J S -

Hey Paul

You only tested against the filesystem (the default).  In order to test against memcache(d) or mongodb you will need to configure moodle to do so.  Its fairly straight forward.  Set up your service then configure the cache in moodle to point to your configured service.  Right now Memcache(d) and MongoDB all show Invalid plugin, which means something is not setup correctly if you did indeed mean to test against those services.

In reply to J S

by Paul Lindgreen -

re: Set up your service then configure the cache in moodle to point to your configured service.

I've setup MongoDb as a Windows service and it appears to be running fine.

I've added the dll as per the download from http://www.php.net/manual/en/mongo.installation.php

In moodle I clicked 'Add Instance' in Plugins-Caching-Configuration-Cache administration-Installed cache stores to create a new cache store.

After creating the store instance I clicked the 'Edit Store' link and choose the default blank settings as I wasn't sure what to enter. (My moodle web and data files are on my E drive but my mongodb data folder is on the C drive.)

When I run the test again I get the same 'invalid plugin' message. See image below.

I reviewed settings.php and am guessing the following settings are incorrect? Or need to be configured through a Moodle admin GUI somewheres, or do I need to manually edit the following line?

$settings->add(new admin_setting_configtextarea(         'cachestore_mongodb/testserver',         new lang_string('testserver', 'cachestore_mongodb'),         new lang_string('testserver_desc', 'cachestore_mongodb'),         '', PARAM_RAW, 60, 3));

In reply to Paul Lindgreen

by Anna Jonna Ármannsdóttir -

re: I reviewed settings.php and am guessing the following settings are incorrect? Or need to be configured through a Moodle admin GUI somewheres, or do I need to manually edit the following line?

In Moodle 2.6 it should be completely unneccessary to edit config files for cacheing.

In order to be able to do that, you need to install the appropriate php plugin and web server modules. Then you get the green tick, that enables you to do your thing in the GUI.

Since you are running Windows, I cant help you, but then probably somebody else can. Good luck.

In reply to Anna Jonna Ármannsdóttir

by Paul Lindgreen -

re: you need to install the appropriate php plugin and web server modules

Hi Anna

Can you give me an example of what a php plugin is in Apache or a web server module (I can research the windows equivalents)?

I am familar with configuring php and installed the dll in windows but did not realize there is something else required with php and the webserver to enable mongodb caching? Or was this a moodle plugin and module that you were referring to?

Thanks.