Change forum email template

Re: Change forum email template

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 3

This is a little off topic.

I'm having difficulty with very very poor email habits of those in some of my courses.

I'd really like some power to have all emails not the same.  smile  ie ones from me with a little extra message in title AND at the top if the email.  Even "This is a post from the xxx forum in the Moodle course you are a member of"  smile I know thi sis a big ask.  smile

So this particular request could have both pragmatic as well as educational/learning rationale.  Clean up the clutter etc etc.  Focus on what is important.  I may make a separate post in the forum on this issue to see if it can get a little traction.   I have voted for MDL-49682

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by James Ballard -

Hi Derek,

I have got our developers to push through a patch for making the forum email a render. While this does not change the forum layout itself, it allows any theme developer to over-ride for a given site theme.

This means that you can rework it however you like in your theme. The course is a potential feature of the object so you should be able to achieve this quite easily. Specifically the following course details already exist in the mail variable for you to use in a message.

$mail->course->fullname; 

$mail->course->shortname; 

$mail->course->idnumber; 

$mail->course->summary;

For example, our use case was to use an over-ride of the renderer to create a customisable placeholder based template in our theme settings. This allows the above course fields to be added anywhere within the content of the email.

Yours

James

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to James Ballard

by Ian McNeill -

thank you James .. i will give it a go when I update out site in June .. and report back ..