How to transport a picture with the exercise?

How to transport a picture with the exercise?

by henny jellema -
Number of replies: 11
Beste Everybody,

I am new with Moodle, but I am somewhat experienced with hot potatoes.
Now I got it done that an hot pot of mine worked in Moodle. Hoera!!

The exercise is originally this:

http://www.hennyjellema.nl/praktijkvakken/schillak/schillak1.htm

in Moodle it is this:

http://lesnet.minkema.nl/elo/moodletest/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=20

as you see the picture is missing. How do I get it into the exercise? I uploaded the file of the picture with the editing button and so on. The file is in the file section; I selected it, but that had no effect.

Anybody an idea?

Hartelijke groeten van Henny.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to henny jellema

Re: How to show another Moodle URL?

by henny jellema -
Beste Everybody,

Reading back my own message, I see that the Moodle exercise is not visible for others. I should have realised that.
I am so used to the open system of hot potatoes, I completely forgot that.

Is there a way to show each others problems on the forum? It makes explanations so much easier....

Here's a solution

by Norbert Berger -
Beste Henny

Here is how to do it:
First of all, zip the html file and the graphics linked into one zip file.
Then upload into the file section of your Moodle course. Unzip in the directory you want.
Then add the Hot Potatoe quiz activity, selecting the html file via file browser and Choose.
What you get then looks like http://bslso108.kfunigraz.ac.at/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=1105 or check the course on http://bslso108.kfunigraz.ac.at/course/view.php?id=75
(I took the liberty of saving your original file on my local disk via save as. Then zipped up all the files, uploaded and crated the Hot Potatoe activity.

Please check, try and let me know, so I can remove the file from my server.

Hope this helps

Best wishes from Austria

Norbert
In reply to Norbert Berger

Re: Here's a solution

by henny jellema -
Beste Norbert,

How nice to find you here.

I am not such an experienced zipper. But I uploaded as you advised all files concerned. There are only two. The html and the picture. They arrived savely in the Moodle program.

But now unzip in the directory I want ..... ?? as you suggested?
Things are going a bit strange then, I am afraid.

Would you mind to explain to me what you mean by "directory you want" in this context?
Thanks beforehand.

Can it be the output?

by henny jellema -
Beste Norbert,

Right at the very moment I see something very strange which can cause my picture problem. I am 100% sure that my exercice has the standard output:

http://www.hennyjellema.nl/praktijkvakken/schillak/schillak1.htm

I had done the picture in the reading text.

In Moodle my exercise appears as a drag&drop. I know that in drag&drop one cannot use a reading text.

But how is it possible that my exercise becomes a drag&drop in Moodle? Do you know if somebody else has this problem?

Re: Can it be the output?

by Norbert Berger -
Beste Henny

Two things.: Upload and exercise type.

In Moodle, you first click on files in your administration block (usually on the left-hand frame) There you can either create a new directory by clicking the new directory button, or you just upload into the root of the course files directory, by clicking the button 'upload file' and follow the instructions. Now you may upload the htm page plus images in one zip file. I think you may also upload the .jmt file you created in Hot Potatoes. I need to try this, but I feel this may result in the change of exercise type.

If you do the latter, Moodles may use the drag and drop exercise type rather than the drop-down format you wanted. This probably depends on the settings which I have not explored yet. In order to avoid this problem, create your Hot Potatoe files and upload the htm file which you have checked and are happy with.

This should make sure your exercise will look as you want. I am sure there is a way to upload the Hot Potatoe file and then select the exercise format you desire.

I'll look into this right now and let you know, but for now, the way I described works on my own Moodle server, and will produce exactly the same results on yours.

Hope this helps for now. I'll be in touch soon

Norbert

In reply to Norbert Berger

It is the output

by Norbert Berger -
Beste Henny

To get the reading text, you need to upload the htm file you created in Hot Potatoes. If you upload the jmt file the default display is Drag and drop without reading text (as you said, drag and drop does not support a reading text).

For the logging of results it does not make a difference if you choose an htm version of the file you created, or the original Hot Potatoe file format.

In order to change the default drag and drop output format to drop-down with reading text, you need to select V6 rather than the defaul v6+ which you find below the file name on the Hot Pot activity set-up page. Click the questionmark to find the options you may find, depending on what the file you select permits.

Hope this helps

Hartelijke groeten van Norbert

Re: How to transport a picture with the exercise?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Beste Henny
I have taken the liberty of downloading the html file of you quiz, along with the associated graphics, and added the quiz (and graphics) to a course on my server.

The good news is that the quiz seems to display as required.
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/14/ms/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=196

As long as the the quiz and the graphics are all in the same folder on your Moodle server, it should display OK.

As Norbert rightly says, if you generate the quiz from the ".jmt" file, then you can choose whether the output format should be drag-and-drop or drop-down lists. The default is drag-and-drop. Sorry, that doesn't seem to be what you would have chosen as the default sad A useful improvement for the HotPot module would be to remember what people choose for the defaults on the HotPot activity settings page.

By the way, one way to let "outsiders" have a look at your Moodle course is to go the "Settings" page for the course and set the "Guest acesss" either "Allow guests without the key" or "Allow guests who have the key"

Finally, I notice that you have chained several quizzes together. Over the summer I am planning some enhancements to allow a chain of HP exercises to be added all at once, and then have all but the first hidden on the course page. Over the past few weeks, I have come to realize this is how veteran HotPotters, such as yourself, usually create materials.

thanks for allowing access to your materials!
--Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

For Norbert and Gordon,

by henny jellema -
Beste hp&moodle-friends,

I used you different kind of advise and things are going much better!
Thanks to Rob Delissen from the Minkema-college in Woerden who offered me an account on his Moodle ( however I am not a teacher at his school) so I can experiment with your suggestions and you guys just should have a look:

choose les 1, les 1a and so on....

Works great hè?
And finally, finally I get the way of saving results I like and always wanted. I think it is a great combination, hp and moodle.
I wonder what Martin and Stewart do with it.

Thanks so far!

P.s. Oh by the way. Does anybody of you know, if we can put Text Toys in Moodle? And Markin? You see, I am getting the taste for it!! -smile)

Re: For Norbert and Gordon,

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Henny,
did you mean to include a link in your last post? Unfortunately, it didn't show up sad

Anyway, it's great to hear you are enjoying using Moodle and Hot Potatoes. You can also administer TexToys acitivites using the HotPot module, but only from the HTML files.

The HotPot module doesn't know what to do with Markin files. Although you are not the first to wish that it did. Perhaps one day, it will smile

Hartelijke groeten van
Gordon

Martin and Stewart?

by Norbert Berger -
Beste Henny

I rmember Martin and Stewart commenting on Moodle a couple of times. Correct me if I am wrong, but Martin's brother runs the British-based company that markets Textoys and Markin, plus hosts Hotpotatoes.ne. So they have their own server-based solution for saving results which they share by giving people access to .net services.

Martin also mentioned he was a little concerned about people using Hot Potatoes with Moodles without paying license fees: the free license conditions do not apply if hot potatoe exercises are password protected and not made available without any restrictions on the web. Probably there is a fair number of people who use Hot Potatoes and password protect their exercises in Moodle courses ....

All I can say is the license fee for Hot Potatoes and all the other software Martin and Stewart have created are definitely worth the investment, and I look forward to future versions, for which I will be happy to pay the upgrade price they charge.

Good work, Henny, and Gordon, of course.
Hartelijke groeten van
Norbert