Optimal Moodle/Storyline/iPad Settings

Optimal Moodle/Storyline/iPad Settings

by Mike Bruns -
Number of replies: 10

Hi all,

Over the last year, there have been been significant new versions of both Storyline, Moodle, and the SCORM Plug-in (Many thanks to all that support these products, paid and unpaid).  

If you are using Moodle & Storyline, with or without iPad users, could you reply with the settings you are using?  Many of us are looking for the best visual experience for our users, both web and mobile.  Between pop-up vs full-screen settings, different browsers, scaling options, course resolutions, iPad Player, and video, I'm sure I'm not the only one confused. And much of the old data on the forums is outdated.

I'm posting this in both the moodle and articulate forums. In a week or two, I'll provide a summary of the best responses in both sites

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Bruns

Re: Optimal Moodle/Storyline/iPad Settings

by Bruno Cochito -

I'm using Storyline for creating my courses and I wanna help you.

In my courses, we use the following configurations for all versions:

- screen size: 1024x668 (discounting the navigation top bar);
- image resolution: min of 150dpi;
- lock player at optimal size;
- popup window (in Moodle);

In desktop versions, no HTML 5 output;

In iPad versions, add just HTMl 5 output.

SCORM 1.2 by default.

In iPad version we don't use character, because the performance are unstable.

I hope that this will help you.

Regards.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mike Bruns

by Marci Araki -

Hi -

I'm using Moodle 2.5 with Storyline. Here's the settings:

Articulate settings

- Check "Include HTML5 output"

- Uncheck "Use Articulate Mobile Player on iPad"

After that, I zip the file.

Moodle settings

- open in pop-up window

- browser size is 900 x 700

Hope this helps.

Marci

In reply to Marci Araki

by Mike Bruns -

Much appreciated guys!

Please keep your settings coming.  We're just getting started, so I'd like to make the first one the best we can, so when we make the others based on this template, they'll be the best they can be. 

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Douglas Brown -

Dear Moodle/Storyline Users,

I am at a research stage myself and will try the different settings as suggested by Marci and Bruno.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with inserting GoAnimate into Storyline. I'll be giving that a go as well.

Ultimately we'd like to be able to play on pads as well as PCs, but would like some thoughts on the minimal system requirements to ensure reliable delivery.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

In reply to Douglas Brown

by Douglas Brown -

Despite using Marci's recommended settings, my Storyline test apps are getting pushed down and to the right.

Im trying to attach screen captures to show you what I mean.

by Douglas Brown -

So I wasn't able to post the screen capture nor to mention that with the Apple and Android Pads at present we have the files as I ran out of time, so would anyone please respond to this post?

a. pushing the image down and to the right

b. not displaying video or playing audio

Any thoughts?

Attachment PBL Screen Capture.jpg

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you rely on mobile device usage with SCORM in Moodle you should upgrade to Moodle 2.6 - we rewrote the player to make it more responsive and to suit mobile devices a lot better - after upgrading to 2.6 you should also take a look at the patch on MDL-43011 which will improve things further.

by Elvis Elvis -

I have the same problem ever since updated Articulate Storyline from update 2 onwards. Update 2 fit everything into the SCORM frame without any issues. After update 3 (4, now 5) I design courses in newer versions but publish them in Update 2. This probably cancels out the effect of new updates, but the courses still work. Never had any issues with iSpring products.

In reply to Mike Bruns

by Meighan Maloney -
HI, Just checking to see if this "best responses" summary has been posted somwhere. I'm working on developing an Articulate/Moodle project for tablets. thanks!
In reply to Meighan Maloney

by Douglas Brown -

Hey Meighan,

You must have seen this, which is important for starting:

http://www.articulate.com/products/storyline-tech-specs.php

And apparently Moodle 2.6 is the go for Storyline and Pads working together, one of my previous discussions with Articulate it was what they said.

Happy to be proven wrong, i.e. 2.5 works well, as this is where I am.

Cheers,

Douglas