Status of Wiki modules?

Status of Wiki modules?

by John Doe II -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

I'm sorry if I'm disturbing, but I'm a bit confused by wiki modules and diferent versions of it.

I understand the standard bundled version of Wiki module is based on ErfurtWiki. While, many recent (and promissing) messages in this forum refer to "dfwiki".

My conclusion was the two are not the same thing, and that there are two wiki modules being developed in parallel. Is that right?

If yes, my questions would be:

1. What is the general orientation for future bundling, which one will become standard?
  2. Which one is currently more indicated (stable, scalable, etc.) for production installations?

Thank you in advance for your kind answer.

Regards.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Doe II

Re: Status of Wiki modules?

by Ferran Recio Calderó -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi John,

I'm one of the developers of DFwiki. As you said, DFwiki isn't the same as ErfurtWiki. DFwiki is a completely new wiki module project. ErfurtWiki is a good software, but it doesn't work well with Moodle.

Obviously, we want DFwiki to be the next Moodle oficial wiki. If you want to try it, the URL is:

http://appserv.lsi.upc.es/palangana/moodle/course/view.php?id=15

I can't answer your second question (which is better) because I'm not objective. But DFwiki is developed to solve all ewiki troubles and we are working hard on it.

All suggestions about DFwiki will be helpful. I recommend to try it both and post in this forum your conclusions.

In reply to John Doe II

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
HI John,
tree months ago I asked Martin his aproval to develop a brand new wiki module.
The main developer of Ewiki (current main moodle wiki) module is now missing
and another moodle developer is maintanining it.
In its due time Martin will have to decide if he wants dfwiki to become the official moodel wiki ( we hope so ). But before we bring this issue, dfwiki has to reach two specific requirements that martin asked:
* import capability from the old ewiki.
* backup / restore
I believe the other requirements are allready accomplished.
However, rigth now dfwiki is pretty stable, and if you want to use it within your moodle 1.5 server you only have to download, copy the files and add the activity to your courses.
Cheers
Ludo

In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Pamela Giles -
>I believe the other requirements are allready accomplished.

Is there any way to include dfwiki activity in the Moodle activity logs? The professor for the course I'm working on really likes being able to see how many times students have viewed all the other resources in Moodle (text pages, forum postings, chat logs, etc.), especially for calculating participation marks. However, under all the dfwikis, no activity is shown. Within the dfwikis themselves, I can tell which pages have been viewed the most often, but not who viewed them.

Is there a setting somewhere that I can activate so that activities can be logged? If not, this would be a nice feature to have.
In reply to Pamela Giles

by Ferran Recio Calderó -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi again Pam,

The log bug in DFwiki is already fixed in the current downloadable version (alpha 4). To install the new version only copy the content in the same directory.

In the current version, DFwiki at to log a detailled information like "view", "edit", "diff"... and shows in which DFwiki has occurred and the page name where the action is made. Finally, if someone modify a page, it adds to log a "save" entry.

Download the last version and don't forgot to give as fedback again,

Thanks again,

Ferran.