error in Calculation of the Rubric

error in Calculation of the Rubric

by Mark Glynn -
Number of replies: 3

All,

I really would appreciate some help on an urgent matter. One of my colleagues has created a rubric for an assignment (Moodle 2.4). The rubric has two criteria A & B and three levels of each criteria with scores of 10, 25 and 50 for each level

Therefore worst case scenario a student gets 20 points (10 points for each criteria), best case they get 100 (50 points for each criteria)

My challenge is in the grade displayed for that assignment (not gradebook) does not match the rubric

i.e. students are getting scores of 0, 19, 38, 69 or 100

FYI the grade for the assignment is marked out of 100 so in theory the variations of scores should be 20,35,50, 60, 75, 100

Any help would be very much appreciated

Kind regards

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Glynn

Re: error in Calculation of the Rubric

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I think you need to have 0 in the rubric too - see the section on Grade calculation here - Rubrics

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Glynn -

Thanks for the reply Mary. I must admit though that this is really frustrating. Why can't it be  simple percentage calculation i.e. add up marks received and express as a % of total marks available. This will eliminate the need for having zero as an option for every criteria. I don't see the benefit of having this unnecessarily complicated formula.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Mark

In reply to Mark Glynn

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mark,

It is just as Mary said. Based on the mapping you listed:

• 10+10 = 0
  • 25+10 = 18.75
  • 25+25 = 37.5
  • 50+25 = 68.75
  • 50+50 = 100

If you add a fourth level with the lowest ones points set to 0 and the highest one to 50, you will get the scores you expect.

It is my understanding, that if you created and used your own scale that went from 100 down to, I think 10, your rubric would give the scores you expected.

AL

rubric Mapping Rules