Importing Files

Importing Files

by Mike DuBois -
Number of replies: 7

I have used Worksheet Builder that created math worksheets that have a wss file extension.  I'm unable to find anything to convert these files to something that could be imported into Moodle.  Does anyone have a solution to import of self contained worksheet files (wss) innto Mooodle?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike DuBois

Re: Importing Files

by Marc Grober -

It looks like this is some kind of MS Excel extension file as WSS stands for Worksheet Builder Self - Contained worksheet Header

It looks like you could export the data back to ascii and use the GIFT or other convertor

In reply to Marc Grober

by Mike DuBois -

The software offers no such export capabilities.  However, it is good to know a plan for finding one might work with the GIFT import.  Thanks.

In reply to Mike DuBois

by Marc Grober -

If you explore the contents of the file you will see how it is constructed and what you can do to deconstruct. If they built this thing to use the MS wss format then you may be able to use an MS tool to manipulate the contents. Certainly you could run the file though perl or some such once you deconstructed it,  but that would be a good deal of work.  You might want to start populating the Facebook pages of edmentum et al about how they were sabotaging their assets as that might get their attention and result in someone at least explaining what the format looks like so you don't have to guess at deconstruction.

In reply to Mike DuBois

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Is this a proprietary product from a book publisher?  If you have access to the original software, you might check the documentation for exporting to external formats.  Most publisher resources export to Blackboard, WebCT or Office formats.  If you can export as a Blackboard quiz, Moodle should be able to import it into a quiz bank, but graphics and mathematics my not transfer correctly. If it can export to an Office or text formats, you may be able to reformat with some effort and use GIFT.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Mike DuBois -

No, I do not.  Originally, I purchased this software through Academic Systems mathe software as a data base used to create worksheets and tests.  However, they were purchases by Plato Learning that is a part of Edmomentum that also owns Renaisance Learning.  Since the purchase, in my view, was to reduce competition this conglomerate has not kept track of it's existence after the acquisition.    I've had no luck in finding tech support from them for guidance in making exports or conversions to other formats.  I was hoping others might be familiar with this math worksheet format. Thanks.

In reply to Mike DuBois

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Too many book publishers are creating their own tools, for building worksheets and tests based on their own materials. The problem I see is that they do not often include instructions or methodologies for converting these files to any other format. One way around these limitations, create your worksheet, screen grab it, save it as a PDF in Photoshop, If you want to edit it, use a program like  ABBY Fine Reader to convert it to text then edit in something like TeXWorks that comes with LiveTeX. This is a lot of rigamarole, and a serious waste of time. Just create your own using TeX.  

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Mike DuBois -

I'm not familiar at all with TeXWorks.  I guess this is my next course of action.  I just hate not being able to add these older .wss worksheet questions to my moodle question bank.  Thanks.