Moodle UI, reports and analytics

Moodle UI, reports and analytics

by Mihir J -
Number of replies: 18

Hi All

Just wanted to share this with everybody that recently we have done some graphical chart based reports for quizzes and courses at user level.

Here are some of the images..

How it was done

a) basically, we took an approach of creating lib files

b) then incorporate the data flow from UI to moodle

c) It is done very clean as in no impact on moodle core code.

d) for charts we have used google chart functionality

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mihir J

Re: Moodle UI, reports and analytics

by Anatoliy Kochnev -
Picture of Plugin developers

Another example how Moodle data can be presented in the chat/pie/graphical view is www.intelliboard.net. We are extracting data that is usually available in Moodle and use it to show in a report forms. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Anatoliy Kochnev

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, all.

I would not recommend IntelliBoard at this stage. The file that they ask you to add to the root of your Moodle site allows access to your entire database (potentially even beyond Moodle's data) without any access control. This appears to be a huge security hole. They are also running unknown and potentially complex queries on your database, which could create a performance problem as well.

We are looking into this further and may need to take action.

Michael de RaadtDevelopment Manager, Moodle HQ

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Michael de Raadt

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Hello Michael,

I am happy to work with you and see how we can improve it. We are not running anything beyond Moodle and not accessing database directly. We had to change that method once we identified possible security holes.

Is there a way we can discuss how we can make it better and fit Moodle standards?

Thanks,
Anatoliy

by Michael de Raadt -

Hi, Anatoliy.

We are happy to work with you to make the way your system interacts with Moodle secure.

In the meantime, I would suggest that your customers remove the agent file from production sites.

In reply to Michael de Raadt

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Thank you for reply. Would you please comment on what did you find. I sent you an email and PM.

We are running our beta version right now and do not have customers facing production sites yet.

There is always something new to learn.

Thanks a lot,

Anatoliy

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Hello,

thank you for great suggestions that you have given us. At this moment we are changing the way we connect to Moodle instances and once we release the plugin, we will provide for review. We are happy to make this work transparent as much as possible.

Thank you,
Anatoliy

In reply to Mihir J

by Vernon Spain -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It looks interesting Mihir. Are you planning on releasing this as a report or block?

Regards,

V

In reply to Vernon Spain

by Chirag Patel -

hey i want to make this type of changes in moodle report facility so if you can help me where can i start?  I am like dummy to moodle. so help me by giving some links.

In reply to Chirag Patel

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Hello Chirag,

with IntelliBoard you do not need to make any changes to your Moodle. I see you already registered and will be happy to walk you through and show how it works.

Thank you,

Anatoliy

by Bob Puffer -

While I think Intelliboard is potentially a good idea, why would I want to place my administrative credentials on a third-party site whose security of which I have no awareness. Did I miss something?

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Hello Bob,

good point. IntelliBoard is not asking for your administrative credentials at any point. Please see image attached. To connect your instance to IntelliBoard, you need to upload IntelliBoard agent to your Moodle root and connect to agent. Choosing your Moodle version and agent location is the only step you need to complete in order to use IntelliBoard. IntelliBoard is not using any direct database interaction as well.

You create your own account with IntelliBoard available for you only. It is a email verified authentication process.

Hope this helps. I invite you to try it out and comment. Will be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Anatoliy

Attachment newfeature_agent.png

by Justin Litalien -

Hello Anatoliy,

On February 11th, you said you'd be changing the way Intelliboard connects to instances of Moodle. Have Michael and Bob's issues been addressed?

To be honest, Michael and Bob are highly respected voices in the Moodle community, so I won't be pursuing Intelliboard until they feel it is a worthwhile product.

Thanks...

Justin

In reply to Justin Litalien

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Hello Justin,

i have same opinion about Michael and Bob and very much respect their comments. More than that, Michael reviewed our plugin on the initial stage and suggested changes that were addressed. We submitted plugin to Moodle plugin repository and waiting for review. It is our goal to make sure that IntelliBoard.net fits Moodle requirements.

IntelliBoard.net has free plan so you are welcome to test it as well. 

Thank you,

Anatoliy

by Justin Litalien -

Excellent Anatoliy, thank you. Please let us know when Moodle accepts the plugin.

Cheers...

Justin

In reply to Justin Litalien

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Hello,

the plugin is now available in Moodle plugin list at https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=local_intelliboard

Thank you,

Anatoliy

by Bob Puffer -

I'm going to speak out once again against use of this system. Issues:

• Without a lot of work you can not guarantee that giving access to your db will not result in harm. Work would require granular access to table-level data, possibly field-level.
  • Many (wise) administrators don't allow outside access to their databases, you either come in through the Moodle interface or through a VPN. Perhaps the plugin here resolves that issue but scares me all the same.
  • Collection of user data would have to stay on-campus. When talk is made of 'having a free version' that suggests to me the plugin doesn't run unhindered by outside influence. If that is the case, exposing user data to outside parties without educational purposes violates every FERPA statute on the books (and I'm a very liberal interpreter of FERPA).
  • The creator of the plugin has made some rather indiscreet sales initiatives towards some schools by emailing directly to their on-campus issue tracking system and surreptitiously having a work order created for a sales pitch. 
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Bob Puffer -

I received this response in pm regarding my previous post against the use of Intelliboard. Since I firmly believe these conversations should be held in the open, I'm copying here:

"Hello Bob,

hope this message finds you well. I would like to follow up on your message
that you left on the form regarding the analytical tool that i developed.

1. We do not store any data on our server. We just give live connection to
Moodle and the data that shows up there is a live feed. the plugin was created
based on Moodle requirements and was approved by Moodle HQ and also
Remote-Learner to be used for one of their customers.

2. All the interaction with Moodle goes through the webservice with
authenticated user to use the service. If Moodle instance is available through
VPN, IntelliBoard.net will not work with it. And we have had several interested
customers who expressed their security concerns and we are always open to work
with them on that.

3. We offer free version so anyone can use it with no fees to pay. If you have
more than one Moodle installation, there are other plans to switch to.

4. You said the creator of the plugin has made some rather indiscreet sales
initiatives towards some schools, can you please comment on that? What exactly
you are talking about?

Thank you,
Anatoliy"

1. I may be out of step with changes made to this plugin but the last I knew credentials needed to be given to Intelliboard in order to get it working. If it was wholly contained in Moodle it would use the moodleuser credentials and there would not be a concern for security. The fact that it was approved as a plugin does not give any guarantees of security. Example: Tim Hunt doesn't believe ad hoc reports is totally secure but ad hoc reports is approved as a plugin. Tim's concern about ad hoc reports is different than mine about Intelliboard but just proving a point. Nor does Remote-Learner's use of the plugin testify to its integrity. We have no way of knowing RL's implementation or the control they have over the server on which it is installed.
  2. No comment
  3. No comment
  4. I have been told by more than one colleague school they have received a "sales call" work order in their issue ticket system by way of an email sent directly to the issue tracker from Intelliboard. That I consider indiscreet.

In reply to Bob Puffer

by Anatoliy Kochnev -

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your response. I also believe that all conversations should be open. Thank you for posting it here.

Thank you for your comments. It means a lot to us. I respect all opinions and will continue on working to improve the security of IntelliBoard.net. It is our main goal to make sure all users get service that they can rely on. But again, i respect your comment very much and totally agree with you.

I will talk to our sales team to see how they reach out to potential customers and see what needs to be improved as well.

Thank you,

Anatoliy