double square bracket in new created block title

double square bracket in new created block title

by susan cheng -
Number of replies: 6

I got a double square bracket outside the title after added a new block, could anybody help me?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to susan cheng

Re: double square bracket in new block title

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That double-square-bracket thing is what Moodle does when it looks for a Langauge string, and cannot find one. Are you using an add-on here?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by susan cheng -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I am just learning how to create a new block, is this called add-on?

In reply to susan cheng

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry, too much jargon.

Moodle = Moodle core + plugins.

plugins come in two sorts: the ones that are part of the standard Moodle release, like mod_forum and block_html, and new plugins that other people have created. These third-part plugins are also called add-ons.

There are different types of plugin: Activity modules, Blocks, Question types, etc.

I hope that makes things less, not more, confusing.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by susan cheng -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your explanation, much clear now.

I had successfully created new themes, now I am try to create a new block and just followed the moodle document http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Blocks.

Somehow I got the square bracket once I added the new block, (the new block doesn't show up if I turn the "Customise" off. I know somewhere are wrong, but couldn't figure it out. Is that the way similar to create new theme? Do I have to replace all the instances name for all files/folders?

In reply to susan cheng

by Tim Hunt -

If you are doing development, there are some settings you should have set in certain ways:

Debugging: DEVELOPER - this gives you logs of helpful error messages, e.g. about missing strings.

Cache language strings: off - otherwise, when you edit language files, the changes don't show up.

Cache JavaScript: off - otherwise when you edit JavaScript, the changes don't show up.

Theme designer mode: on - otherwise when you edit CSS the changes don't show up.

Text caching: No - otherwise you can't do development on filters.

These settings are scattered throughout the admin menu. Searching for 'cache' finds most of them.

Note, do not use these settings on a live site. They make Moodle slower.