Multilang filter dont work in 1.5?

Multilang filter dont work in 1.5?

Ronaldo Reis Jr. -
Vastausten määrä: 4
Hi,

the multilang filter dont work in moodle 1.5?

Thanks
Ronaldo
Arviointien keskiarvo: -
Vastaus Ronaldo Reis Jr.

Re: Multilang filter dont work in 1.5?

Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Kuva: Core developers Kuva: Documentation writers Kuva: Moodle HQ Kuva: Peer reviewers Kuva: Plugin developers Kuva: Testers
Hi Ronaldo,

as I know, it works like a charm under 1.5 (and it has a lot of nice improvements: speed, compatibility with the HTML editor, multiple zones are allowed...).

What's your exact problem? Can you send any example?

Ciao hymy
Vastaus Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Valery Fremaux -

Same problem having just upgraded my implementation. We tried to use <span lang="xx"> syntax in course names and course description, both idiomatic entries appear as not filtered, although the multilang filter is activated as required.

Should the idiomatic tags be in true HTML or escaped in the text string (&lt;span...&gt;).

We continue checking out against version 1.4 to try to know more about the trouble...

Regards

Vastaus Valery Fremaux

Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Kuva: Core developers Kuva: Documentation writers Kuva: Moodle HQ Kuva: Peer reviewers Kuva: Plugin developers Kuva: Testers
Hi Valery,

although the number of places supporting the multilang filter have been increased a lot (specially when filterall is enabled in "Admin/Filters"), there are some strings not being processed yet (course names for example).

For a detailed list you can visit the "CFGFilterAllSupport" wiki page to see the current status of the functionality, and if you find new fields where it should be added, feel free to update it.

Ciao hymy
Vastaus Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Roland P. Becker -
Hello Eloy

I feel that both of You are correct ... but there is an issue I have posted long time ago, which is the way, the procedure itself in which language issues are handled.

The SPAN-TAG is already much cooler than the first proceeds.

But I still feel that this actual solution is just a temporary, a nice work around which does not really give a solution to those who would like to publish some information for the international community - less to work with international learning audience.

While some Universities are already make much bucks - as I believe based on the reports of monthly spending for online advertising in the rank of several million dollars - the international markets could offer much higher stakes for every education enterpreneur - for example "english lessons online".

But the actual TAG solution would not allow to offer the same course at the same time to french, italian, german, spanish learners etc.

The constant filtering of every single bit would just draw to much resources - without a real need for it.

An fortunately there a several Open applications out there that show a better way:

1) While I do not like phpNuke so much for other reasons, the language approach they have is great. Articles and information has an additional field, that identifies the language it is written in. Thats it.

2) OSCommerce, some say the best opensource ecommerce tool available goes the same or a similar way. Input forms a different, as they give You a form field for every language on the same page, so You mayu get into trouble, once You want to attend more than three languages for You proyect.

But the basic approach is based on database structure and not on tags.

This has also much benefit for other "sideline" issues, like importing or exporting of tasks or courses.

But maybe, Moodle is not yet ready to go this way. surullinen

Finally, the tag way may not be usable on some platforms. For example, I work with FireFox and have a firewall installed - no popups are allowed, so I have a problem with some editing features (links, pictures,...).

And it seams as if the TAGS are not well included in all occasions. I just gave up on a simple forum article on the front page. The same story in spanish, english amd german. But in this case - no way.

My votes would be for both style in language handling:

the filters for fast inclusion of text in alternative language, but the database solution for the more solid versioning of courses and information for all other language issues.

Beyond that, I like Moodle and I even think of using it for ordinary CMS jobs.

A great suite.

Roland
http://club.centroamerica.tv/