Restore Problem "Required parameter (id) was missing"

Restore Problem "Required parameter (id) was missing"

by Dexter Perkins -
Number of replies: 25
We just did a new installation and to demo it I tried to restore a course that was originally created on another server.  I can give details, but the skinny is that when we try to upload the course.zip file we get this message (and no upload):
  "A required parameter (id) was missing"
On the other hand I did succesfully upload small, individual, files.
Any thoughts?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dexter Perkins

Re: Restore Problem "Required parameter (id) was missing"

by Dawn Wright -
I'm having a similar problem - required parameter missing - when I try to restore some courses (not all). I backed up the courses again and tryed a second time and still get the error message and no restore.
In reply to Dawn Wright

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

when is such error showed? When you try to upload the file or when you try to restore the course? Can you be a bit more detailed (the exact page, some screenshot...)? Does it happen for all your courses or only some of them?

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Sonia Pestana -

I have the same problem. I´ve made backups of courses in 1.4.4 and 1.4.5. When I restore in Moodle 1.4.5, it works OK, but when I try to restore it in Moodle 1.5, it dotn´s work. See below:

restore error in Moodle 1.5 image 1

Error - restore in moodle 1.5

Attachment restore_error2.jpg

by Dexter Perkins -
1. The problem occurred during the uploading.
2. I have traced the problem to file size.  In principle, the limits in PHP and Apache were adequate, but when I increased them, the problem (sort of) went away.  I say "sort of" because now I am timing out before uploading is completed.  I bet I can avoid this by FTPing.
In reply to Dexter Perkins

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It seems to be 2 different problems in this discussion:

1.- Dexter (and probably Dawn) one is about uploading big backup files to Moodle. Sending it over FTP can be a good solution.

2.- Sonia problem seems really different (because it happens once have defined your restore configuration and the process is really going to start). Have you tried to re-install all the backup directory to see if something is missing? Or, if the previous doesn't work, could you tell us what settings are you using to restore such course and, if possible, send me privately the backup file to be able to trace your problem in my test servers...

Ciao smile

by Sonia Pestana -

OK, Eloy. I Have sent to you an email with the link to the backup file.

Thank you!

Sonia

In reply to Sonia Pestana

Hi Sonia,

I've restored your course perfectly in my test server (1.5+ daily version). I've restored it both in "es" and "br" languages to see if it could be a language problem... (is br your language?)

Seeing your attachments, it seems that the page before the error shows you some broken information (image attached) in your server and, perhaps, it could be the cause of the error in the next one.

Can you imagine why your HTML code is wrong in such page? Have you done any modification? Can you send that page compressed in a zip file to see what HTML it's producing...

Ciao smile
Attachment restore_error1.png

by Sonia Pestana -

Interesting!!! the files I have zipped for you, generated in the moment of the problem, when restored, don´t show the errors!

Then, I will send you the same pages screenchot in the moment of the problem. See attachment again!

Thanks very muchsorriso

In reply to Sonia Pestana

ตอบ: Re: Restore Problem "Required parameter (id) was missing"

by อนุสรณ์ จันทสุข -
hi sonia,how about restore your course? i have same proplem and you can help me if restore your course is work,please.
In reply to อนุสรณ์ จันทสุข

Re: µÍº: Re: Restore Problem "Required parameter (id) was missing"

by Sonia Pestana -

Hello, Anuson.

Is your server Apache?

Try to add in the file htppd.conf , in the item codification, the ISO pattern, that is the default used by Moodle.

It worked with me, and the problem was solved.

by Rhonda Goetz -

I was just getting ready to post this issue as well.  My files are small.  My 1.4.3 template file restored, no problem, but my other course which contains data, will not.  I also received that exact error when restoring to 1.5. I can however, restore it to a 1.4.3 site.   

Any help you can give me is appreciated.  I hate to have to rebuild all my courses.

OK!  I found out what the issue was.  If I uploaded the file from my home computer through Moodle, I got the error, if I FTP'd the file into the backup folder and then restored, it worked.  Must be some type of glitch in upload?  Anyway, disregard.

In reply to Rhonda Goetz

by Ruth Clench -

Can somebody help me please? I am very new to Moodle so go gently please!

I have set up a course and have been uploading files to it using moodle with no problems other than our upload limit was set at 2m. This has now been changed by the siteground team. However I have tried to upload some files this morning and I keep getting this error - "A required parameter (id) was missing"

Can anyone help?

I do not know what this means, how it happened and how I can solve it.

Thanks,

Ruth

In reply to Ruth Clench

by John Isner -
You should read the discussion you just posted to. It contains a number of suggestions. You'll probably find that you need to ftp the file to your site, rather than uploading it through the Moodle interface.
In reply to Ruth Clench

by Chad Outten -
Hi Ruth, ive seen this restore dialogue before! Check the actual size of the backup .zip file you're trying to upload, restore & confirm it doesn't exceed your site file upload max.

If the backup file is larger than your max upload, I'd suggest you ftp directly to your moodle site. first note the 'id' for the course concerned > when you're situated in your course check the url in your browser > it reads something like http://yourmoodlesite.com/course/view.php?id=2

the 'id' is the course number. access your cpanel & browse for a folder called moodledata or uploaddata (if using fantastico) > find the folder by the 'id' number for your course eg. '2' > there should be a folder called backupdata contained within this folder (if not, you can create it) > upload your backup zip file to this location > return to the admin block in your moodle course & use the restore function.

cheers, chad
In reply to Chad Outten

by Ruth Clench -

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help.

However I am not trying to upload a backup.zip file. I was simply trying to upload a word doc to a course I have set up. It was working fine one day and not working the next. Don't know what happened.

I know how to use Filezilla for FTP but we do not host the moodle site here on our server so I can not access the files as easily as I would like. I do not seem able to upload to Moodle in this was as I don't see the courses when I connect via FTP. How do I know where to put the files?

Still getting the "a required parameter (id) was missing" message when I try to upload anything.

We upgraded to Moodle 1.8 today but that made no difference.

Any ideas?

In reply to Ruth Clench

by Chad Outten -
Firstly, go to moodle site admin/security/site policies & check the maximum upload file size for your install. You should also check the max upload setting for the actual course via course admin block. Ensure the file you're trying to upload doesn't exceed that limit.

The upload limit can also be manually changed in the php.ini file. The process is explained here.

With regard to knowing where to ftp your files, as mentioned in my previous post > you need to note the course 'id' > this is the number contained at the end of the url string, when located in the course. in terms of the actual file path, this will vary depending where your moodle site is located on the server & more precisely, where the moodledata folder is situated. the course folder will be located inside the moodledata folder.

alternatively, if you have cpanel access to your remote host, you can browse to your site, locate the 'moodledata' or 'uploaddata' folder & upload your file to the course folder.

cheers, Chad
In reply to Chad Outten

by Clayton Funk -
This happens in other places, too. I get this message: "A required parameter (id) was missing" when I try to add a page in the lesson module.

In addtion, when I try to delete an activity under a topic, I get bounced out of the course with another message "no action was specified."

These instances seem pervasive does anyone know of a work-around?

Clayton
In reply to Clayton Funk

by Chris Matthews -

The problem as far as i have experienced is due to the 'post_max_size' within the php.ini, the default is usually re-configured to 16Mb this seems to be the default size for any type of file that is being uploaded.

There are 2 ways to fix this problem: -

1. change the php.ini to a higher size

2. ftp the zip file to the 'upload courses' and then do the restore

I have literally just done this in the last 5 mins so i know that it works.

Hope this helps.

Chris

In reply to Chris Matthews

by Matthew Leathes -
And something I've just noticed... when editing the values of 'post_max_size' and 'upload_max_filesize' in php.in, DON'T include the 'B' in 'MB'!

For example, to set post_max_size to 50 megabytes, the value should be '50M' NOT '50MB'!

If you include the 'B' it all stops working properly and you'll start getting the 'requirement parameter (id) is missing' error, as well as other strange things happening.
In reply to Matthew Leathes

by scott robison -
I've done this for both settings and am still getting the 'requirement parameter missing...' error when i try to upload a large file.
In reply to scott robison

by ben reynolds -
Try administration > security >site policies >maximum uploaded file size
In reply to ben reynolds

by scott robison -
It is set to 'Server limit'. The 100M limit I set in the php.ini file isn't reflected in the settings you suggested (max size in the drop down box is 8mb). Where else does the server limit upload file size?
Server 2003 running IIS.
In reply to ben reynolds

by ben reynolds -
Hey Scott,
I was just covering the obvious base. I think the next server limitation is going to be outside of Moodle.

But also, "Don't forget to restart your webserver, after you alter higher mentioned variables!!"
http://tamingmoodle.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-to-on-maximum-upload-size.html
In reply to ben reynolds

by scott robison -
I even upped the limit on the post_max_size (as suggested in your link), restarted the webserver via IIS Manager, but no luck. When I go into a course, click on Files, it still says the max upload size is 8mb. I am still unable to upload large files (25mb) even though I've set the upload max in php.ini to 100M.