Using moodleforms and renderers together

Using moodleforms and renderers together

by Michael Gwynne -
Number of replies: 1

This is more a question of best practice.

I am creating a page and a renderer (that extends plugin_renderer_base). I need to have a form on the page that will submit data back to the same page. My question is, should I can the form inside my render_ method and if so, where should I do all the logic such as $form->get_data() and $form->set_data()? It doesn't seem right to do it inside the renderer, but if I do it anywhere outside, I will have to call the form constructor again which also doesn't seem right.

Or, does anyone know of a good example in the Moodle source code.

Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Gwynne

Re: Using moodleforms and renderers together

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Logic such as $form->get_data() certainly doesn't belong inside a render - it is part of the functionality of the page, rather than the output for the page.

A good approach, in my opinion, would be to create a class to hold the data for your page, that implements 'renderable'. You can then pass into this class a reference to the $form instance you have already created and checked with get_data().

e.g. (very roughly)

$form = new my_page_form();
if ($form->get_data()) {
redirect(...);
}
$pagedata = new my_renderable_page_data_class();
$pagedata->set_form($form);
// Pass any further data needed to draw the page into this class as well
echo $myrendererinstance->render($pagedata); // Somewhere inside this a function render_my_renderable_page_data_class(my_renderable_page_data_class $data) can output the page, including the form reference stored inside it

I'm more than happy to be corrected on this, but that would be the way I'd approach it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)